Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint to match or ?

I need some opinions here. This last weekend I purchased some brand new Smittybilt tube fenders for the YJ car off of Craigslist. They are currently painted grey primer. they were never installed and are just waiting for me to get a weekend free to install them. Now the question I have is what color do I want? The Jeep used to be Emerald Green. But after years of not washing it, the occasional rock jumping out and hitting it, and just sitting out in the sun, the color is kind of green. The idea of the everything looking pretty is just that, an idea. So, just paint them black and be done with it or get the paint code and try to match the color?

like the stones said, paint it black! put yer color match paint money toward a bottle of patron... :2:

'course you have seen my jeep...
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Paint them black Jason. You will not be happy with the color match. There are several issues with trying to color match. You may be able to notice that even on the original paint the different panels are slightly different shades. This is caused by different degrees of sun exposure. If you chose one of the several shades of green to match the new paint will not age and fade at the same rate as the paint you matched. SO, unless you don't mind the deferent shades of green, and I am not saying that you should, just paint it black.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Jason ,it is hard to match paint colors, even if you match it the old paint will look like old paint next to your fenders..I just painted my hood and fenders Flat Black.I think they look cool..

"A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

I say paint em black. I actually know how to paint and I'm not bad at matching colors, today's clear coats are not as prone to exposure fading the colors as you may think. The bigger issue with matching modern paints is more in the way the base coat lays down with metallic paint. The angle and distance from the surface play a big role in paint matching. Lastly the clear coat may or may not have the same degree of orange peel as a factory paint job causing the new and old pain to look different. In a jeep that is going to see trail action I wouldn't bother with it. If you bought these fenders because you plan on using them then you'll not regret going black. If your in the least bit concerned with the looks, then stick with the same black paint, sheen and brand when you touch them up because you will scratch them. By some good enamel paint from your hardware store and get a few extra cans while you're there.

Comment

May I suggest a vivid PINK? I think that would set off the color of your eyes Jason...
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I was leaning towards black. If you've seen my fenders now, you would wonder if I could actually drive. I wasn't quite ready to do fenders but I saw these and jumped on them.
              Rat, pink only if it glitters like yours.:wink:

Comment

haha i saw those on CL too, nice buy. Paint em black or silver, those work well with most anything.
                "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Paintem Black.
                  I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Working...
                  X