Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winch = pretty thing on front of jeep that you really only need if you wheel alone. I have used mine once to pull someone else out. But, it is pretty cool. My $0.02 is to build the jeep from the start around the biggest tires you ever plan on having on it. It sounds like jesseyj is doing just that - he has the goal, now to piece it together. I think the best route if swapping axles is to wait until you have the coin to do the lockers, gears, tires, and lift all within a short time frame. That way, as previously pointed out, you don't end up having to regear. Gears are not a big dollar item if you do it yourself, but if you are paying it will cost you more dollars than you want to throw away in doing it twice. In the meantime, wheel with other people that have a winch ...
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I broke a d35 axle in the desert all alone. Lucky for me my trailer was only a few miles away. I did not go 4x4in until I had my 8.8 in as it is a very strong rearend. Also if you do break an axle the disc caliper will allow you to limp a few miles at a crawl if needed. You do not want to break a axle and have to leave your jeep out there until you can get parts and repair. Do it, put the stronger rearend in first, then at least you can get home. A hi lift jack and two straps will get you out of anything a winch will with some work.
      But I like my winch, and use it often.

See my gallery for broken axle pictures. A 3 wheel jeep sucks.
      456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

Which Upgrades?

I am new to this forum but have been wheeling for many years. On my YJ (purchased 3 months ago) I first bought a winch. Have already had to use it twice. Next up are the lockers. Open diffs suck. with only two wheels powered at any one time traction is not much different then a 2 wheel drive truck with posi. I am going with Detroits. This mod will double the traction and with it the number of obsticles you can overcome. Out here in the desert clearance is important but traction is King. 1. Winch, 2. Lockers, 3. Lift. Just my opinion and the order of upgrades on my YJ. See open diffs suck video.
        www.azexplorations.com/Videos/Open Diffs.wmv
        EE

Comment

Eaxactly what I said but just more succinct.

Brice
          '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
          www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

Working...
          X