Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire clearance

i am trying to get more clearance on my cj7. should i use tj or yj fender flares?

Hmmmmmmmmmm. The 31's on my YJ rubbed the flares but the 31's on my TJ don't rub anywhere.

Are the TJ flares shorter or something?

Comment

You can use either to cover up the opening after you cut the fenderwell. When using the yj flares, swap them from left to right mark the sheetmetal then cut. For the tj just mark and cut then mount them up.

I say use whichever ones look better to you.

On my yj i just recently swapped them left/right and cut 2.5" out of the rear of my fenderell and moved them 1.5" higher, to make room for another 1" of rear stretch and the 35"'s .
      "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
        Hmmmmmmmmmm. The 31's on my YJ rubbed the flares but the 31's on my TJ don't rub anywhere.

Are the TJ flares shorter or something?
        The fenderwell openings and the flares to match are slightly larger on the Tj than the Yj, and both are larger than stock cj.

Comment

so the tj flares are bigger than yj? in front and back?

Comment

yes they are, plenty of yj's run the tj's as well.

Comment

X2 on the TJ flares, they are larger than the YJ but if you go that route, I suggest getting the TJ side marker lights for the front, otherwise they look a lil white trashy. :2:

of course I don't run flares at all, but I am kinda white trashy so it werks for me.
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

can i use the stock side marker light for the cj7 and just relocate it to the position of the light on the tj flare?

Comment

do you mean the side markers on the fender or the flare???

Comment

on the flares there is a nice big molded hole for a side marker light, and if you leave that thing empty like I see so many do, it looks silly to me. now that I think of it, Maybe it's just a reflector?
                    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Check out the thread on fender flares. Check out www.bc4x4.com for a great write-up on TJ flares on a YJ. The procedure should be similar for a CJ. Regarding the marker lights, go with TJ lights. All you have to do is trim two rubber tabs off of the bulb holdes and they slip right in. I got NOS from ebay for $30. (I think I got ripped) If you do like I did and accidentally go too high cutting the front (all it does is move the straight back of the flare into the rounded part of the fender - leaving a small gap) just fill the gap with black RTV. As far as trimming the TJ flares, they WILL hang down below the front of the fender, just pull a Stanley knife through the plastic and keep the blade level. It cuts easily, but it only cuts where you send the blade... Post some before and after, Maybe a thread? Never seen it on a CJ, but I've heard of it.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

well now i am looking at tube fenders for the fron and tj flares in the back. but, i cant seem to find the right ones. i want some that have the flare built in already. where should i look for some cheaper ones that wont break the bank and come put together.

Comment

White rhino fabrication, has the best prices i have seen, they are a weld kit or he can preweld for a small fee.

typically all the tube fenders are made of the same material and mount exactly the same way. Some of the bigger names just sell them for more...

Comment

Working...
                          X