Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition upgrade

hey guys, has anybody running the 4.2 I6 done the TFI ignition upgrade? also the Nutter by pass? are they smog legal in Ca. whats your thoughts and experience?
    Rich.
    But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

hey rich liiiiiick eeeeeeem!

Comment

I don't think you will have an issue. Besides, your in the high desert. haha! I think the guy on "D" and "7th" more closer to "D" and the 15fwy used to pass you pretty easy It was "SID's Automotive" back in the day.

Comment

I did the tfi and nutter bypass on mine before i did the throttle body passed smog fine. Have a friend in Bakersfield that did the same. Just make sure you still have all the hoses and clutter still installed on the engine.

After I did the throttle body injection it was harder to smog. It didnt look correct to most smog stations and they don't understand what a Carb E.O. number means. Finally found a smog station that the owner has installed the Howell kits before and passed np. If you want to make the trip, smog station is the only one here in Rosamond just across from the highschool.
        "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Lakev2, thanks for the info, I don't need to smog for another year. so just keep all the crap in place and it should pass visual. did you notice any enhanced preformance ?
          Rich.

Comment

The ignition upgrade was/is good removed a lot the hesitation it had off idle. The nutter bypass of the carb wasnt noticed as much, could never get the darn thing to act right. Hence the throttle body install.

My buddy in Bako that did the nutter bypass still has his carb and likes it, but he doesn't wheel his jeep much it is his daily driver.

If you expect to be off camber often, and don't want the carb to cause headaches offroad, I would plan on swapping it out when your able.

Comment

my concern is smog in the future, wondering if you could nutter on a inline toggle switch,so when smog was due you could just flip the switch to put the ecm back in the loop and set your timmingback to specs. then reverse it once passed. tfi ignition is not an issue for smog ??? or are there any calif smog legal carbs for the 4.2

Comment

Tfi ignition upgrade doesnt affect smog at all.

Nutter bypass of the ecm will fail a visual if the inspector can notice it.

There is really only 1 smog legal carb on the 4.2L its the stock one.

Fuel injection swaps only 2 legal ones, the mopar multipoint efi, or howell tbi.

Engine swaps open up all kinds of possibilities as any truck engine newer that 87 would be legal after getting a BAR inspection/certification.

Comment

i did the nutter bypass last week. it worked great for me but i dont think you could do it in cali. but its so simple that if you did you could reverse it to get it smogged.

Comment

Working...
                  X