Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Help...

Since two weeks ago, my battery doesn’t have the cranking amps to start my Jeep unless I jump start it. I am looking for a decent battery that won’t break the bank, something other than the Optima choices since they are expensive and not in my budget at this time. I was thinking more of a Did Hard or Ever last. Does anyone have any recommendations in mind?
    Drew
    95yj Six Pack

I've heard good comments on the Costco batteries. I was there last week and they were $59 and change. The Napa brand is also supposed to be affordable and a decent battery.

Comment

Not sure what your price range is but I went with the Sears Platinum a while back and am very happy with it so far. My stocker started leaking and after hearing horror stories about what battery acid will do to things like your computer, wiring, etc if it gets in there during a flop or something, I decided to go with one of the sealed types that won't leak, and after all the research I did, the Sear's Platinum stood out from the rest...it's basically an Odessey that is repackaged for Sears and comes with an even better warranty. Not only is it sealed, but it also has the extra ports for a winch, extra lights, etc. From what I've heard the Optima batteries have gone way down in quality in the last couple of years and are no longer the go to for Jeepers.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

The Sears Diehard Platinum (made by Odyssey) is about the best battery going for the Jeep right now and is a much better quality battery than any of the Optimas are... especially since Optima's nose-dive in quality that took place when they were bought out a few years ago.

However, it's every bit as expensive as an Optima is so it's not going to be in his price range. I don't even know what to recommend for a "normal" battery any more, I'd probably just go for a NAPA or Costco battery if I couldn't afford a Diehard Platinum.
        Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 01-12-10, 01:25 PM.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

The "BEST" of the wally-world batts. seem to be working out well, and you can't drive 5 miles and NOT see a Wal-Mart.
          Respectfully,
          LG
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Thank you all, gentlemen. I now have something to work with in my decision.

Thanks again! :bonk:
            Drew
            95yj Six Pack

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
              The "BEST" of the wally-world batts. seem to be working out well, and you can't drive 5 miles and NOT see a Wal-Mart.
              Respectfully,
              LG
              X2 I installed a 'Ever Start D-8' duel purpose battery last spring. I think it was about $85.
              I've made 4-5 light cable pulls with it. The big test came the past weeks in the single and teen digit temps. It sat 2 and 3 days and cranked right up.
              I'll consider the same model for replacement, I hope it lasts 3 or 4 more years.
              '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

I have a friend that had success (in his car) with a costco battery. Best part was the warranty. Got a 100% refund 1.5 years after purchase when it took a crap.

I recently purchased the die hard platinum for my jeep and I have nothing but praise for it so far. My jeep sits most of the time now and the few times I've fired it up recently it has turned right over. When another project gets done at the house, I'll be putting it on a battery tender, but for now it's been holding STRONG, especially when compared to my last battery.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I personally have always ran Walmart batteries without issue (since 1998 +/-)! $75 for the yellow ones. They have a 3yr free replacement and 9yr pro-rate. Never had one fail.

The other night at drive-in the battery that came with Suburban wouldn't start after. After a few min, it did. The next morning I was going to get another at Walmart. But, I called Costco and Walmart to come CCA. The battery in there was 720CCA and Walmart was 770CCA and Costco was 800CCA! Costco was $69. So, I got it at Costco. I will keep you posted on how the Costco battery does. So far so good.

I hope the feedback helps.

Ron

Comment

Awesome! Thank you very much for the helpful information

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                    I personally have always ran Walmart batteries without issue (since 1998 +/-)! $75 for the yellow ones. They have a 3yr free replacement and 9yr pro-rate. Never had one fail.

The other night at drive-in the battery that came with Suburban wouldn't start after. After a few min, it did. The next morning I was going to get another at Walmart. But, I called Costco and Walmart to come CCA. The battery in there was 720CCA and Walmart was 770CCA and Costco was 800CCA! Costco was $69. So, I got it at Costco. I will keep you posted on how the Costco battery does. So far so good.

I hope the feedback helps.

Ron
                    Drew
                    95yj Six Pack

Comment

I like the sealed batterys like the Optima that you don't want. Sears sells one in a grey case thats an AGM battery but it's pretty expensive too.

With a wet battery and constantly bouncing around the acid tends to leak out which corrodes the terminals.

This can't happen to a sealed battery. Autozone's Duralast is made by Johnson and is a good battery for the price.

Try to stay away from Exide made batteries since they have a high failure rate.

I'm switching all my stuff over to sealed batteries. I just found one @ Napa for my dirt bike so now when I fall over on it I don't have to refill the battery.

Comment

Sears diehard platinum
                        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

dont u be breakin down again drewdude
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Yeah I know, lol! I did get the battery replaced and ready to hit the Corva Truckhaven event this upcoming Saturday. One thing is for sure, I get learn how to fix things on the spot, lol! Hope to wheel with you again soon Vern!

Originally posted by Britain View Post
                            dont u be breakin down again drewdude
                            Last edited by Drewminator; 01-20-10, 10:08 PM.
                            Drew
                            95yj Six Pack

Comment

Thanks Chris and Chris143 for your advise..

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                              Sears diehard platinum
                              Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                              I like the sealed batterys like the Optima that you don't want. Sears sells one in a grey case thats an AGM battery but it's pretty expensive too.

With a wet battery and constantly bouncing around the acid tends to leak out which corrodes the terminals.

This can't happen to a sealed battery. Autozone's Duralast is made by Johnson and is a good battery for the price.

Try to stay away from Exide made batteries since they have a high failure rate.

I'm switching all my stuff over to sealed batteries. I just found one @ Napa for my dirt bike so now when I fall over on it I don't have to refill the battery.
                              Drew
                              95yj Six Pack

Comment

Working...
                              X