Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooked up flood lights =(

Ok. So, spent most of the day hooking up the lights. Wired it wrong (not on the relay side) I crossed the wires at some point I guess :mad: So, I just bought new wire and re-wired it. Well, I hooked it up to the high brights just to see them tonight turn on. They light up. But, they blink and go dim. Regardless if I start the jeep or even drive it. I came back and pulled it into the garage and disconnected the regular light connected to the flood and it still flickers. If I disconnect both regular lighs the floods stay on without issue.

So, here is my question before I go any further. Did I do something wrong with wiring it EXCLUDING hooking it up to the high bright wire (plug before the bulb)? If not, and that was why, then I will just wire it to a switch and call it.

Note to help:
    130w floods
    I ran seperate wire to each leg on relay
    Hot is 12 guage
    Ground was 14guage
    40 amp relay
    30 amp inline fuse by battery

Thanks for any help!

Well your driving lights/flood lights get power directly from the battery through the relay correct?
    As long as the relay engages the lights should work
    The relay does not care where the power to engage it comes from. Be it a switch or from the high beam or whatever.

Here is your little wire diagram I put some numbers with it that are basically the standard numbering on anything that resembles a Bosch type relay. These numbers are on the bottom of the relay as well as on the printed diagram on the side if the relay

If you wired it like that and the relay has a good ground good voltage to it from the battery and halfway decent voltage from your highbeam source to your switch and from there to your relay it will work

Comment

Ok. I ran it wrong then?

30 - high beam
      85 - battery
      86 - ground
      87 > floods

Comment

yup you sure did.
        30 battery
        85 ground
        86 ignition source/ highbeam/switch
        87 Cepek lights

As you have it switch the wire from 85 to 30
        and the one from 30 to 85 and it should work

Comment

My bad. Went and got my chicken scratch picture in garage.

30 - switch
          85 - battery
          86 - ground
          87> lights

Comment

same story goes switch 85 to 30 and vice versa
            That is all that is wrong

Comment

THANKS ART!!!!!!!!! REALLY. :bonk:
              85>30
              30>86
              86>85

Comment

30 battery
                85 ground
                86 ignition source/ highbeam/switch
                87 Cepek lights

85 0r 86 are interchangeable
                Meaning it does not matter which one of the 2 is the ground side or hot side as long as one side gets 12 volts from a switched source and the other one is connected to a good ground.
                terminal 30 has to be hooked to the battery positive with a fuse in the wire.
                terminal 87 will feed your lights and then all is wel and properly lit up

Comment

All is good! I will add a switch though when I get around to it. Question? The lights don't adjust much up and down I see? Only side to side. I can see the "ghetto birds" great, but the desert floor is only good. lol. Any fix for this?

Comment

If you loosen the nut on the mounting stud of the lights enough you can turn them up or down some if out of adjustment simply bend the mounting tab a bit

Comment

I did push it down far. But, when I look at the beam on the garage, it's 6-12" above the high beam. I'll take some pics.

Comment

Well driving lights are supposed to shine out quite a ways, farther than the high beams that is why I love mine at night ob mountain roads so I can see whats coming quite a ways ahead same goes for trails for closer up the head lights do ok you want to see what is out a ways so you can plan ahead

Comment

Hey Ron,

I know this is a shot in the dark but,..... there should be a blerb in the instructions on how to adjust those things. (I know real men don't read instructions but, I couldn't resist!!)

Anyways, If they are anything like the old KC lights they should adjust by loosening the bolt enough to get it to move around in the socket. You might even have to take the lense cover off to get into the inside to make the adjustment. Just a thought!

In the meantime, I'll tell 40 King (The Ghetto Bird) that your the one thats lighting them up at night!

Scott
                          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Actually no instructions. Just lights, foam, and a box. Probably because there is no switch, replay, etc?

LMAO! I was going to put 40 King on there. But, it wasn't as funny.

Comment

Working...
                            X