Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep wont start

Yesterday morning I got into my '90 Cherokee to run some errands when the Jeep wouldnt start. The starter seems to be working but the engine wont start like its not gettin any gas or spark, although I did change out the spark plugs and wires. I dont know what can be wrong

What is it doing when you try to start it? Is it cranking but not starting, or maybe it is just giving you one click when you turn the key or lots of clicks?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Try reseating the connector to the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). When the CPS goes bad, it causes this symptom and sometimes, just sometimes, reseating its connector gets it running long enough so you can go buy another CPS.

It could of course be the ignition coil too, not sure which to place first on the list of suspects but I kinda think the CPS.

This assumes the engine is cranking over normally but just not starting.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

its cranking but not starting with lots of clicks.

Comment

It may be possible that the coil wire isnt seated either on the cap or on the coil. If it ran before you changed the wires and spark plugs, then go back to what you did. You may also have spark plugs in there that the gap is set to big. That would be a possibility, although that might be a stretch. I guess it all depends on whether it ran before the work was done or not.
          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I agree with Kirk. Check your plug wires and your coil. Make sure you have them in the right order. Check your battery too. If you hook up your multimeter it should read 12.6-12.8 volts. If it is down at 12.2 that is about 10% charged. But start with those wires. It should be 1-5-3-6-2-4

-Scott
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

do you have a spark

Comment

Originally posted by grolla42 View Post
                its cranking but not starting with lots of clicks.
                what do you mean clicks?? like the clicking sound when theres not enough juice to full crank over the engine??
                :devil: Giffer

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCI...layer_embedded
                  -Tedder

Comment

Working...
                  X