Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Theft Devices - What do you recommend?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Theft Devices - What do you recommend?

The thread about nwoods' Jeep being stolen had a happy ending. It would have been even happier if they would not have taken it in the first place.

Nailer341 suggested that a thread like this one be started, so here it is!

Post your recommendations for Anti-Theft Devices or ask questions about methods you have heard about.

We all want to keep people from stealing our Jeeps. While we're never going to make it impossible for someone to steal them, we can at least take steps to making it an undesirable target.

Along the way, I understand that some methods may lower our insurance premiums, which is always a bonus!

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

OK...I'll start.

I'm about to put fuel injection on my Scrambler and am considering locking a kill switch in the center console for the electric fuel pump.

Based on a post in the thread about the recent theft, I'm also considering the Ravelco system. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.ravelco.com/

The Ravelco system looks like a kill switch on steroids and I'm interested to hear anything about it from those of you who are familiar with it.

Thanks.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I use a variant of this: http://home.att.net/~email.id/ADESystem.doc http://home.att.net/~email.id/wsb/ht...ome.html-.html

Cost a few $$$ in parts, and somewhat simple. I'm also thinking of adding one of these: http://www.mastersentryseries.com/st...overview.shtml. I know somebody who uses one, and they like it. The device seems pretty cool.
      Last edited by Materdaddy; 12-21-09, 01:51 PM.
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

12 gauge next to the bed.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I would like to use the masterlock starter relay. But they don’t make them for YJs. I can’t imagine they are that different though. For now when I go to a theater or a mall or any other place I pull the coil wire and stuff it in my pocket.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Ravelco

Unfortunately I have experience with this issue. Our jeep was stolen in July and never located. In august I picked up an 05 Rubi and the first week had Ravelco installed. In september someone attempted to steal my new Jeep from the farmers market parking lot. Broken steering column and passenger door lock but still have my jeep. I can't argue with success. Best 300 hundred bucks I could EVER spend on my jeep. They come out to your location, either work or home and install it. They claim no vehicle has ever been stolen with this device. You can always tow a vehicle away though.. I always try to remember to turn the wheels all the way to one side whenever i park because that makes towing more difficult. Alarms are worthless and anoying....

Comment

Chris did a write up on Adding A Sentry Key Immobilizer.

It was very affordable, and not too difficult to do

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I'm also thinking of adding one of these: http://www.mastersentryseries.com/st...overview.shtml. I know somebody who uses one, and they like it. The device seems pretty cool.
                That would be me. This device is a proximity device. When you are a short distance away from the vehicle it wont start. It's not had to prove itself yet! Cross my fingers.
                Last edited by Commandoman; 12-22-09, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I have my worries about theft, and have the Key sentry factory installed and also the early warning Lojack. calls me @ home, work, the wife, and also sends texts that the vehicle has been moved without my knowledge. So far so good.
                  06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                  07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

For TJs and JKs, you can simply temporarily pull out the ASD relay if you need to park in an area where you would worry about the possibility of theft.

For a longer term but nearly as simple anti-theft method, simply wire a hidden on-off switch into the ASD (auto shutdown) relay on-off circuit. When the ASD relay is either missing or disabled, the engine absolutely cannot be started. And no common thief is going to know enough about Jeep engines to suspect the ASD relay is the cause of him not being able to start it.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                      For TJs and JKs, you can simply temporarily pull out the ASD relay if you need to park in an area where you would worry about the possibility of theft.

For a longer term but nearly as simple anti-theft method, simply wire a hidden on-off switch into the ASD (auto shutdown) relay on-off circuit. When the ASD relay is either missing or disabled, the engine absolutely cannot be started. And no common thief is going to know enough about Jeep engines to suspect the ASD relay is the cause of him not being able to start it.
                      That's the relay my magnet kill switch is wired to disable. It will just turn over and turn over, but never start, until my magical magnet waves over the magical spot.
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Hide a switch that "kills" the fuel pump on FI engs.
                        With a carb. Hide a switch that "kills" the coil.
                        In both cases the engine will just crank and crank. The coil switch has saved my 85 CJ-7 in 3 "trys" in 24 yrs.(I caught the SOB the last time BTW)
                        Respectfully,
                        LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          That's the relay my magnet kill switch is wired to disable. It will just turn over and turn over, but never start, until my magical magnet waves over the magical spot.
                          Post up a link Matt...

I like the Sentry dealio from master lock for us YJ folks. Seems to be a pretty fair price too.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                            Hide a switch that "kills" the fuel pump on FI engs.
                            With a carb. Hide a switch that "kills" the coil.
                            In both cases the engine will just crank and crank. The coil switch has saved my 85 CJ-7 in 3 "trys" in 24 yrs.(I caught the SOB the last time BTW)
                            Respectfully,
                            LG
                            Did you have to serve time for the battery charge you must have incurred for the beating you unleashed on him?
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              I like the Sentry dealio from master lock for us YJ folks. Seems to be a pretty fair price too.
                              I looked on there site. They don't make one for YJs. Am I wrong. I hope I am. If so Ill be buying one today.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X