Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got a tapping or light knocking from engine??

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a tapping or light knocking from engine??

Need some suggestions..I have a tapping or maybe a high pitch knocking coming from engine after it has been started. I dont really hear it when its idling but when I start to drive it, I can really hear it. The engine has 263k mile on it. After it's warmed up, the noide seems to go away, or at least I don't hear it. I was thinking it might be a collapsed lifter, but someone said it might be a rod bearing going. Would a rod bearing going out make a noise when cold, and then go away after the engine warms up?
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Other item could be a cracked manifold or loose bolt at exhaust flange. When it gets warm the metal expands and seals a minor leak. That's what was wrong with my tj.
    My yj had the same sound and symptoms (went away after warm), it turned out to be something in the block, went away after putting thicker oil in it.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
      Other item could be a cracked manifold or loose bolt at exhaust flange. When it gets warm the metal expands and seals a minor leak. That's what was wrong with my tj.
      My yj had the same sound and symptoms (went away after warm), it turned out to be something in the block, went away after putting thicker oil in it.
      I put in some marvel's mystery oil today. Maybe I might get lucky with a lifter not pressuring up. I looked at all the external engine parts like a cracked manifold, but it doesn't seem to have that kind of sound.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

my YJ does the same thing, goes away when hot, went away totally after an oil change. It is a lifter and seems to be worse when cold and the engine is nearing oil change time.
        If indeed it was a rod bearing as suggested it would not get better or go away under any conditions, in fact quiet the opposite
        87 YJ, D35, Warn full float, Detriot, OME rear, custom rear helper springs, Rancho, SYE, D30, Custom coilover front, ARB, Warn axles and hub lock outs, 4.0 leter Cherokee engine, S/S TSL bead locks, OB air, etc etc

Comment

Well, this morning I started it and I could hear the noise, but not nearly as loud as before I put Marvels Mystery Oil in it yesterday. The noise seems to be faint and then pretty much gone by the time the engine warms up. So I am going with a sticky lifter. I believe Bernie has a good point about the rod bearng. Thanks everyone for their input. It is greatly appreciated. :thumbs_up

Comment

Here's something I found in one of my FSM:

We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Working...
            X