Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salvage title

does anyone know what the procedure is to get a salvage title. friend has a 90yj layed it on it's side, she says insurance is talking total. i looked at it , i think it's repairable at very little cost. no body damage,broken windshield, passanger side rear axel needs to be replaced. hard top cracked but i believe i can fix it.if the insurance by back is reasonable i 'm thinking of grabbing it.worst case lots of extra parts for my 87 yj
    But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

I did it, just take the paperwork you get from the insurance company to dmv. They will give/tell you what to do, not hard but can become time consuming. Like several things have to be signed off and inspected before they give you a title to drive.

Here is what I did, wasn't much to rebuild it.

http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/t...Terms=cherokee

Comment

Tell her to call her insurance company. She should tell them that she would like to retain salvage of her jeep. They will mail her a salvage title and a check.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        Tell her to call her insurance company. She should tell them that she would like to retain salvage of her jeep. They will mail her a salvage title and a check.
        then just transfer into my name at AAA or DMV or do i have to get inspections to put it on the road? thanks Rich

Comment

In order to register it you will have to get it inspected. But you can title it right away. You may want to register it non-op. To avoid extra fees for having a gap in registration.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

thanks she just smoged it about a month ago,think i'll take advantage of that, 90 days correct? went and looked at it again today. not looking bad. the little woman wanted a red jeep after i bought mine. and yes it's red. i'll keep ya up dated. oh yea it's a 2.4 5 speed

Comment

In order to get a salvage titled vehicle back on the road, you must get a brake and light inspection, a smog inspection because the vehicle has transfered owners and one other inspection.. I just bought a 69 nissan patrol that was a salvage. I had to pay the salvage fees of $235.00 to DMV. They gave me a temp registration card (red card with numerical month on it) to put in the window to allow me to drive it, or move it and get the brake and light inspection and some other inspection. In your case you will also have a smog inspection. Once all that is done, you return to DMV to get final registration paperwork and stickers. You have 30 days from time of salvage transfer to get all inspections done. If you cant before 30 days, go back to DMV and non-op it. It really isnt that time consuming.
              Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

thanks guy's if i don't grab this deal i know i'll be kick'in myself in the ars later!i'll be looking for a rear brake drum, passanger side rear axel shaft&rims & tires.

Comment

"It really isnt that time consuming."

Anything to do with DMV is time consuming, even with an appointment.

Comment

when you get the check you take the check to the DMV and you have a few options, one is a salvage title.
                    Pay some taxes, put a non op on it, when the jeep is ready you take it to a place that inspects brakes and lights, you may need a one day travel permit, once they are signed off you can get all the paper work you usually have except the title will say salvage, to let people you try to sell to know you took a totaled vehicle and resurrected it.
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
                      In order to get a salvage titled vehicle back on the road, you must get a brake and light inspection, a smog inspection because the vehicle has transfered owners and one other inspection.. I just bought a 69 nissan patrol that was a salvage. I had to pay the salvage fees of $235.00 to DMV. They gave me a temp registration card (red card with numerical month on it) to put in the window to allow me to drive it, or move it and get the brake and light inspection and some other inspection. In your case you will also have a smog inspection. Once all that is done, you return to DMV to get final registration paperwork and stickers. You have 30 days from time of salvage transfer to get all inspections done. If you cant before 30 days, go back to DMV and non-op it. It really isnt that time consuming.
                      what are the inspection costs?

Comment

I usally pay $150 for a brake, lamp and smog check. DMV usally needs to see the vehicle as well. You just pull up to the inspection line and the Inspector will check the vin numbers in a couple of spots.
                        http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

got the word yesterday, insurance wants $200 to retain salvage title I'll take it!!

Comment

That's a cheep jeep. Good job.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

cant go wrong with that...good luck!
                              Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Working...
                              X