Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 with auto trans w/ what T/C?

I am looking for as much info on what type of auto trans and T/C combination would work for a swap out on a 69 Nissan Patrol. I know this is a jeep forum but I figured the combos that work in the old Cj's would probably work in my Patrol. Im thinking a small block chevy, and I think I want a 4 speed auto, like a 700R4 trans, but I dont know what T/C to use and if it will require an adapter to match it. Is there a better combo than that? I am trying to stay away from "expensive" if all possible. I also thought of looking for a XJ 4.0 ho with all stock drivetrain. Again the questions of wiring harnesses and how hard it would be to adapt that combo to a vehicle that doesnt have computer and fuel injection on it. Any suggestions?
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

I heard one time that the nissan patrol had a licensed copy of the Chevy 235 inline six. Do you know if this is correct?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

It would make sense if it does, it's a 3963 cc in line 6. Why, does that make it easier to work with
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I was just asking because I have a 235 in my 53 chevy pickup. And if you are going to pull it I might be interested in buying it from you. The jeep 4.0 is a much beter motor. I have thought more than one that a fuel injected 4.0 would make my chevy very happy.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
          I was just asking because I have a 235 in my 53 chevy pickup. And if you are going to pull it I might be interested in buying it from you. The jeep 4.0 is a much beter motor. I have thought more than one that a fuel injected 4.0 would make my chevy very happy.
          or a SBC, which weighs about the same!
          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

its not about weight. Its about drive-train commonality. If I had more than one vehicle with the same motor I could justify having a spare longblock sitting around. I like the chevy 235 though so I think I keep it for a while. I like that I can rebuilt the bottom end without pulling it form the truck. Sry to hyjack your thread. I am in not hurry to rebuild my chevy. But if you do pull that motor I would be interested in looking at it at least.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

no problem. I have a contact in Freemont Ca. that is sending me a set of piston and rods, an oilpan, and gasket set. I'm gonna try to get this thing running and then start looking for a V8 set up to swap. I will definitely keep you in mind when I decide to pull it. If you know of any V8's out there, I'd be willing to work out a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                its not about weight. Its about drive-train commonality. If I had more than one vehicle with the same motor I could justify having a spare longblock sitting around. I like the chevy 235 though so I think I keep it for a while. I like that I can rebuilt the bottom end without pulling it form the truck. Sry to hyjack your thread. I am in not hurry to rebuild my chevy. But if you do pull that motor I would be interested in looking at it at least.
                My dad has a 47' chevy pickup that he is restoring. He too is looking for a 235 out of a 54' or a 55'. Something to do with the water pump sits up higher than the earlier models. Know anything about that?

Comment

No I don't. My 53 originally had the Babbitt Bearing low oil pressure 216. My 235 came out of a 62 Chevy.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Oh ok. Well I took some pics of the motor in my patrol to show my dad, and to his suprise, it is a chevy 235 like the one he wants, except the intake/exaust is on the wrong side of block.

Comment

Really? Didn't see that one comming. If I PM you my e-mail could you send a picture or two to me? pm sent...
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

is the Patrol right-hand drive?
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                          is the Patrol right-hand drive?
                          No it sure isn't. I haven't seen any of those here in the states, just on the web.

Comment

I think that Nissan Patrol would be really cool with a genuine Nissan SD33 diesel engine in it....

FWIW
                            " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                            Rick W6RE

Comment

Originally posted by OllllllO View Post
                              I think that Nissan Patrol would be really cool with a genuine Nissan SD33 diesel engine in it....

FWIW
                              not sure I want to go diesel. Im working on getting the 235 put back together for now. Might keep it stock....and then maybe I might go for some more ponies and an automatic

Comment

Working...
                              X