Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another new addition to the family

Ok, aquired another addition to our family of jeeps, although this one is not a jeep, thought you all might appreciate it. I picked up a 1969 swb nissan patrol from the local wrecking yard. Its about 99.5% complete, missing the oil pan, two door windows and the the two back swinging doors. Everything else is there. Should be a nice project for the winter time this yr. If anyone has any suggestions, I am considering swapping out the drivetrain to all jeep stuff. I heard finding original parts is difficult and can be expensive. Not to mention, this will be the vehicle that gets us up to the various mine shafts for spalunking, I think I want to keep it replacable on the trails if we get in a pinch. I also thought of a small block v8 but I dont know what trans and t/c would work with it. If anyone knows or has some suggestions, feel free to put your :2: in.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

I like the K.I.S.S. method. My suggestion would be a 4.3 tbi, 700r4, np231, then jeep axles to match the output of the 231. The chevy drivetrain is cheaper to source and easier to adapt with conversion parts for most anything.

Edit: Nice find on the Patrol, unique vehicles are much fun.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Nice find! Patrols are pretty cool, and definitely something you don't see a lot. I've seen a few online or in mags that had Toyota gear swapped in since it keeps it Japanese but is easier to find parts.
      "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

How cool! What a find! How much $$?? I just gotta know!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          How cool! What a find! How much $$?? I just gotta know!
          Well, a wopping $800.00 plus tax. It was posted for $1095.00, but sweet talked it down on Sun. I pick it up on Sat this weekend. I am extremely excited about it and can't wait to start working on it.
          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
            I like the K.I.S.S. method. My suggestion would be a 4.3 tbi, 700r4, np231, then jeep axles to match the output of the 231. The chevy drivetrain is cheaper to source and easier to adapt with conversion parts for most anything.

Edit: Nice find on the Patrol, unique vehicles are much fun.
            With that combination, how hard is the wiring for the tbi and tranny with computer? Im assuming that the 700r and 4.3 with the np231 is all a bolt together package?

Comment

Wiring is super easy, can get kits from 3 or 4 different vendors for the 4.3/700r4 as standalone harness only have to wire in power and grounds, rest is standalone.
              Thats why i suggest the tbi system, more reliable than carb, uncomplicated and reliable.
              Can also run any standard chevy v8-90* bolt pattern trans, th350, th400, 700r4, 4l60e, 4l80e, behind the 4.3.
              Could also find a donor s10 truck/blazer and pull the drivetrain/wiring, then cost would be even less, but sometimes recovering factory harneses is just a pain.

I am biased towards the tbi system though, have had 6 vehicles with it, everything from stock 4.3, 383stroker, to the 4.2l jeep(current).

Comment

That definitely sounds easy enough. 4.3 puts out a fair share of ponies? Im thinking that this little swb might like a little pep in its ride. Im going to try to get the stock motor running for now till I can get all the parts together for the swap.
                Thank you for the info

Comment

4.3 puts our 160-210hp stock depending on model stock, 220ft/lbs torque. Plenty of oomph for a jeep sized vehicle.

course if you want more power do the same swap but with a 5.7 chevy.

Comment

Dumb question, but a 4.3 is a v-6...right?

Comment

yes same bore/stroke and dimensions as 350 minus 2 cylinders

Comment

Working...
                      X