Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valvecover gasket.

i have an 83 cj7. im pretty sure it has a rebuilt 258/4.2 i have tried two different gaskets and neither on fits correctly. the part numbers are vs50244c and vs50022ci. has anyone ever had this problem, or is there something i dont know about this motor?

I have an '85 CJ7 4.2L six. I have given up on trying to stop the valve cover from leaking. The best thing I have tried (and I've tried a lot of stuff!)is the gasket maker in the aresol can with no gasket. You can apply it in a good sized bead and immeadiatly tighten it up and go. Just make sure both surfaces are absolutley clean.

I hope this slows the leak down for you!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Another common problem is over tightening the valve cover, which can cause it to leak. If you have the stock plastic valve cover, its probably warped. I'd suggest investing in an aluminum cover.

Comment

I used that black RTV too. I buy it in a big tube I put in my calking gun. I use it for my oil pan, valve cover, and diff covers. I put it on and let it sit for about ten minutes. Then I tighten it down about half way and let it sit fir another five minutes. Then I tighten it down to the torqe spec.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

well i was thinking about the rtv and i think i will do that. i already have an aluminum valve cover.

Comment

I recently resealed my aluminum valve cover on 4.2, used the standard cork gasket with nothing else. Main thing i did was use the smallest 1/4" rachet i had and went over the bolts 3 times using a center out tightening sequence each time. worked like a charm. after the first 2 torques the center bolts were finger loose again on the 3 round all held the same amount of tightness and hasnt leaked.
            "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

well i havent been able to find the right gasket. the problem is the jeep is an 83 and i think the motor is a rebuild from a 76 to 79 i need to pin down the shape of the valve cover. i have three bolts on the pasenger side and two on the driver side one in the front and rear. but the only gasket with that hole pattern is staight down the three bolt side and mine is curved.

Comment

If you really want a cork gasket you can always bring your valve cover into the parts store with you. If you don't have another set of wheels or a buddy you can just pull it off in the parking lot.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                X