Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Bearings

I have a question.
    I heard a hi pitch sound coming from the drivers front wheel, removed the tire & brake assembly (with instruction help)and the front bearing assembly. It's all in one piece ! Can't remove the bearings & replace, have to replace the whole thing !! Any suggestions as to where to get another besides the dealer !? Any other suggestions on the hi pitched sound ? It started out soft and grew louder as I went along. Plan to remove the front punkin also as the oil was low. I want to check that out too.

Any good auto part store can get you the unit bearing a good way to check them after you checked it for no play with the wheel on is to swerve at a fairly low speed if the sound changes whole swerving its most likely a wheel bearing then note if the sound changes while swerving to the left or right, basically you look for the sound to get less when there is less pressure on the wheel.
    Say you swerve to the left then there is less pressure on the right wheels so if the sound gets less then you would check wheel bearings on the right for roughness and play

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      Any good auto part store can get you the unit bearing a good way to check them after you checked it for no play with the wheel on is to swerve at a fairly low speed if the sound changes whole swerving its most likely a wheel bearing then note if the sound changes while swerving to the left or right, basically you look for the sound to get less when there is less pressure on the wheel.
      Say you swerve to the left then there is less pressure on the right wheels so if the sound gets less then you would check wheel bearings on the right for roughness and play
      With all this swerving going on, you might want to be in a deserted parking lot or you might get pulled over for DUI...
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Kurt, you are such a comedian, parking lot will work well also remember to go slow

Comment

Kurt tell us the story again about how both front wheels came off on the way home from big bear?
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
            Kurt tell us the story again about how both front wheels came off on the way home from big bear?
            That's a fireside story and you have to get me drunk!

Comment

That's what she said. Lmao
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                That's a fireside story and you have to get me drunk!
                Well, at least you are playing hard to get...
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Could a high pitch squeal be the worn brake pad indicater?
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Well, at least you are playing hard to get...
                    Oh you know me better than that!
                    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12369

Laugh it up you yuks!

Comment

well since youre checking out youre frontend you might want to check the u joint. they can make some funny noises some times and sound like theyre coming from somewhere they arent. just a thought good luck.

Comment

Update on high pitched sound. Got another bearing assembly. In the process of installing it somehow stripped the bolts holding the caliper guide to the spindle assembly. Had to make the holes and bolts & sleves(2 of them) from a 10.9 to 3/8 hole. Got all together and no more hi pitched sound. If ever a next time I will be sure to be very careful removing those bolts. In fact I will be sure to be very careful ever removing ANY bolts. The spindle assembly sure seemed to be made of soft material considering it's metal! Took a test drive up to the top of the buttes near my home. RD did great as expected. Good to have her back!! Just an FYI if anyone out there needs it.

Comment

Cool deal.:beer:
                          Dennis and Tammy
                          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                          X