Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Away toll box layout ideas

Today I bought an old roll-away box set at a garage sale. The old guy died and his wife is selling off 50 years worth of tools and machinest type stuff. I paid $40.00 for an old Kennedy roll-away set up. There's a total of 18 drawers and they all are sliding properly. I'm sure the upper section goes back to the 1940's easily and the lower section is probably from the 1960's. (before zip codes).

Since I don't like to re-invent the wheel, does anyone have any suggestions on how to best utilze the drawers and be organized? I'm sure the tools used most would be in the most convient drawers.

Ideas? thanks!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Well, I don't know if this will help, but I've been following my Dad's scheme:

(if it has a top that flips open): The things I'm ALWAYS after go in the top: Plug wrenches, crescent wrenches, big stuff that doesn't "go" anywhere else.

Then, drawer by drawer: Keep them by "type"

I have a drawer for:
    wrenches, allen wrenches, torx bits etc.
    Electrical: wire strippers, dykes, ohmmeter etc.
    Plier/vice grips/needle nose etc.

Lower:
    Sockets, socket wrenches, extensions etc.
    Bottom (larger drawers) are for:
    Torque wrench, staple gun, drill bits, etc.

Essentially, I just organize to how I can find stuff, so I try to keep like things together and the more I use stuff, the higher up it is (unless it's big and has to go into a lower/larger drawer).

Comment

I always keep like items together... ratchets with extensions.. pliers with cutters. punches chisels.. etc.. etc. there's no right or wrong. It's how you make it work for what you have...

Kennedy roll away for fifty bucks.???? You might as well stole it from her.. those boxes weren't cheap back then and way better quality compared to their new ones.
      You scored
      You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Working...
      X