Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking noise underneath

Hi,

I have 2004 TJ, 2.4L. When I offroad, and go over a bunch of bumps with speed faster than like 5 mph, especially over the washboard-like terrain, there's this loud, dull clunking noise coming from under the jeep, this dull metallic sound as if some two parts are colliding.

Anyone have this problem? What could be loose down there that's clunking like that?

I've asked a mechanic 3 months ago to check out any loose items in the undercarriage, and he found none.

Last night, I was on the freeway, and there was a rough patch of paved road, uneven, undulating, and I was going like 60 mph, and heard the clunking noise. So, I don't think the noise is related to 4x4 parts...

My friend thinks it's the muffler.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Try tapping your muffler near the gas tank to see if it is loose enough to hit the gas tank. Mine used clunk against the gas tank when I'd hit a bump...just had it braced differently and clunk went away.

Comment

Check and see if your trac bars are tight/slop in the bushings.
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

What about your shocks?

Comment

It could be a number of things...if the above dont make it stop, check you control arms as well.

Welcome to the board!

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I would also check your body mounts.

Comment

As mentioned it could be a number of things...I had this clunk and I went thru everything I could think of...suspension, steering, exhaust ... turned out to be the Body Armor rockers I had were banging against the factory Rubicon rockers. Could be something stupid like that too!
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Probably a loose Flux Capacitor

Comment

Look HARD at you engine and tranny mounts. Using a floor jack try to lift the eng. a bit and see if one of those mounts broke. FWIW: Jeep sixes are known to be hard on P/Side eng. mounts.
                  Respectfully,
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

You might look at the shock mounting. When I bought my XJ, the gas shocks that someone put on it before I bought it were installed upside down. It took me a few days of driving it and hearing the dull clunking sound going over speed bumps and such to figure it out. Gas charged shocks install upside down develope an air pocket or something like that. Turned the rear shocks over, and noise went away.
                    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I found my clunking. The bolt the holds the driver lower control arm was loose.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
                        Probably a loose Flux Capacitor
                        Loose stamina bimda rotor?

Comment

Working...
                        X