Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 engine help needed

i have a 97 TJ with a 2.5 engine, it back fires through the intake upon exceleration. i put the scanner on it and has no codes. please give me some suggestions of what it could be.

Check the sparkplugs and wires

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      Check the sparkplugs and wires
      i changed the plugs, cap, rotor, mass air flow sensor and it still does it

Comment

Fuel pressure where it ought to be?

Comment

i will check that. maybe change the fuel filter too, where is the filter located??

Comment

filter is in the gas tank, one of those lifetime jobbers, rarely go out.

Comment

Isn't backfiring a symptom of the timing being off? I'm no mechanic, but that's one item I would look at.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

I'm with you Roger. With today's engines though, you would think that the computer would adjust them. I can't even remember the last time I have used my timing light.

Comment

Originally posted by mbz View Post
                  i changed the plugs, cap, rotor, mass air flow sensor and it still does it
                  Are you sure you didn't get your wires crossed?
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Does it just do it ocasionally or a constant popopopopop that gets worse as the revs go up?

Comment

Timing is deemed, not adjustable, it should time of the crank sensor. It could be a whole slew of things.
                      Got to start with the basics compression, ignition, fuel delivery

Comment

didnt cross the wires, it did it before and after the plug change. it gets worse as it revs up, gets a little better once the engine warms up.

Comment

Since it gets worse as it revs up it's a valvetrain issue.

Broken intake valvespring or flat exhaust cam lobe or a non sealing intake valve.........Last is very,very rare.

Pull the valvecover off and start it. See if all the rocker arms are moving the same amount.

Comment

thanks guys for your help. i will check it out this weekend

Comment

going to check the fuel pressure today, can anyone tell me what the fuel pressure should be at??

Comment

Working...
                              X