Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Rubicon Rims?

Has anyone put a 33", equivilent, or bigger on the stock rubicon rims? If so any problems? The guy the put my 4.5" lift on my LJ told me I couldn't, That the backspacing was wrong. Any truth to this?

Gibby

It's about back spacing "BS". The tires will not stick out much. If you want the widder stance. The go with a wheel spacer ($100). If your wanting to make sure they will fit is all? Then your good.
    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-27-09, 07:18 AM.

Comment

The Rubicon wheels are an 8" wheel with a 4.5" BS. The 33 / 12.50 - (305/70/16) will fit on the wheel OK but there may be some rubbing due to the BS. As mentioned above, a 1" spacer would do the trick to perevent rubbing. If you go with a new wheel, 3.75" BS will work for both 33's and 35's.

Comment

I ran 35" MTR's with the stock rubicon rims and used 1" spacers to stop the rubbing.
        moon buggy
        5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
          The Rubicon wheels are an 8" wheel with a 4.5" BS.
          I'm pretty sure the Rubicon's wheel has 5" of backspacing unless they changed it. With 5" of backspacing, the widest tire that should be run is an 11.5" wide tire. You really need 4 to 4.5" at the most backspacing for any 12.5" wide tire.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Here is a good question. How do you check? Do you measure from the center of the wheel to the outside rim or?

Comment

Backspacing is measured form the hub mounting surface to the lip of the rim on the inside. So if you put a straight edge across the rim and measure down to the hub mounting surface you will find the backspacing.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                Backspacing is measured form the hub mounting surface to the lip of the rim on the inside. So if you put a straight edge across the rim and measure down to the hub mounting surface you will find the backspacing.
                Thanks Scott. OP, if you want I can measure it for you and see what I have with my 33x12.5x15? If that helps.

Comment

The yellow tape measure in this photo is showing 5" of backspacing.

The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                    The yellow tape measure in this photo is showing 5" of backspacing.

Hey Jerry, is that a factory wheel? What size tires? I am going to measure mine

Comment

I came up with 4" on 33x12.5x15 Not sure what stock is? But, with Jerry's picture and both our measurements, that should get you on the right track. That's the great thing about forums, you talk about what you want done by people who have done it. Sometimes a professional isn't a professional. I tend to trust what people have done more than a shop that is after money only. There is a saying, "What do you call a mechanic who graduates last in his class"? A Mechanic! Doesn't mean you get the best advice. But, if someone has done it and it worked, that's worth it's weight in gold

Glad I could help
                      Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-28-09, 08:27 PM.

Comment

If it doesn't rub it doesn't matter. My Mickey Thompson Classic Lock rims gave my Jeep another 1.5" of offset and easily cleared my 33" x 12.5" Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Don't know the number's and don't care at this point. check with your Tire Installer and they will take all of the "Guesswork" out of it.
                        Otherwise it's just talking

Go with the Pro's!

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                          Hey Jerry, is that a factory wheel? What size tires? I am going to measure mine
                          It probably came from some factory, but not a Jeep one... I count 8 lugs... :devil:
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            It probably came from some factory, but not a Jeep one... I count 8 lugs... :devil:
                            I didn't see the lugs (no truck) or the nuts. But, I do see the eight holes good catch. Not sure if that helps the OP any.

Comment

Working...
                            X