Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeep cooling fans

My electric fans i have on my jeep (cooling) are dieing causeing some problems. I currently been useing 2 12 electric fan out of a firebird/camaro. But making noise and I think drawing to many amps and buring up my relays ect. Been thinking of going to the flex-a-lite 575 dual fan set up for the CJ V8. Anybody use something different setup that works good? I already have 3 core all aluminum rad.
    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Ford Taurus electric fan. I heard there is no better.

This may or may not help
    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14977

Comment

yea i heard the ford taurus fans rock, but also pull major amps. Did anyone use this setup with the taurus fans and how did you wire and stuff?
      75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tonkadave View Post
        yea i heard the ford taurus fans rock, but also pull major amps. Did anyone use this setup with the taurus fans and how did you wire and stuff?
        Ask me I have ALL the links you need Didn't find what your looking? Google it. TONS of people have done the swap.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall3.htm

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/

Comment

i just put in one single 16 inch fan from my local auto parts store with a controller. it works like a charm but i only had a little 2.5l to cool.

Comment

I can share my little story:

I did a high/low/off speed ford taurus fan install on my tj a few yrs ago. Went to the local pick a part and got one for about 20.00. went to autozone, bought all of the relays, auto temp sensors and crap. spent like 50 bucks for the accessories. install took awhile since i have a 3 row radiator and a 6 cylinder. I had to do some trimming.

Worked great for several months. NO I didnt notice any HP gains. Thing that I hated was that when you did switch the fan off, say when your in the snow or over water crossings (which was cool) you would have to remember to turn it on later. If you didnt, you would burn up your motor.

The no noise factor and not always having dust blow up into your rig while on a dusty trail was cool to.

When the fan did kick in, yes it drew alot of amperage.enough to dim your head lights temporarly. A simple fix for that would be a 136 amp alt upgrade.

Why did I take it out?

I like simplicity. I dont like having to think about relays and overheating issues if some fuse stopped. I hated always catching myself reading the temp gauge every 10 minutes and I dont like engine fires!

ENGINE FIRES? WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ENGINE FIRES?

One day after about 8 months of use ( and I am High up on maintenance practices) I started my jeep up, back it out of the garage, put on the parking brake, got out to take out the trash. I smelled something burning. Sort of like burning plastic or rubber. I popped my hood and the main relay to the fan was on fire and sparking. In an instant i turned off the jeep, grabbed my halon bottle and used it. then i proceeded to rip every piece of that "upgrade" out and installed my oem fan with a new clutch.

That was yrs ago and my jeep runs fine and worry free with the stock set up (with a 3 row radiator)since.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I know most cars/vans etc use electric fans without fires. With that said, the fan blade swap I did, was the way to go for me. My Jeep runs cool without issue thus far. Best upgrade I did so far.

Comment

I installed mine by reviewing multiple online installation sources and even a mustang site. maybe a fluke, but it isnt worth it to me. I'm not the smarted electrician but I have an aircraft mechanics license and I took 2 yrs of AC/DC and i know all about ohm's law. Bad relay? I dunno.
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                  I installed mine by reviewing multiple online installation sources and even a mustang site. maybe a fluke, but it isnt worth it to me. I'm not the smarted electrician but I have an aircraft mechanics license and I took 2 yrs of AC/DC and i know all about ohm's law. Bad relay? I dunno.
                  I heard the relay is the whole trick to that swap.

Comment

Working...
                  X