Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Looking into Ford 8.8 Axle

I really don't feel to comfortable with the D35 and want to play in the big rocks. My plan is to run it for a while, but wouldn't mind to start building something up taking my time, as funds permit. What do you guys know about the 8.8? Pros and Cons? Would like to hear from the guys that have them.

Does anyone sell a kit for a conversion?

What I've learned so far: get an Explorer 8.8 from 95-2000 because of the disk brakes and they're about an inch shorter in width. And that some come in 3.73, 4.10 gearing, some even with a trac-loc. I've seen some really good deals.
    Thanks, Jorge
    Last edited by SoCal4X; 08-10-09, 10:17 AM.
    YJ Stock
    BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

I know a guy "Ken" that does it for you if your interested. PM me if you want his number? He is in Hesperia. You can also beaf up your D35 also. That's a thought too.

Comment

I’ve done the ford 8.8. I just got done rebuilding my 8.8 and I replaced my carrier with an open carrier. With an open you can put an aussie locker or a lockrite. If I were you I would look for an open carrier 8.8. Most 8.8s at the salvage have a metal tag on them. There is a long number and a short number. The tag for a disc brake 31 spline open carrier axle is "S615E". That is the perfect one. But if you can’t find one with disc brakes don’t worry. Its four bolts to pull brakes off and swap them with another 8.8 in the yard. I got that tag number from FORDification.com.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        I’ve done the ford 8.8. I just got done rebuilding my 8.8 and I replaced my carrier with an open carrier. With an open you can put an aussie locker or a lockrite. If I were you I would look for an open carrier 8.8. Most 8.8s at the salvage have a metal tag on them. There is a long number and a short number. The tag for a disc brake 31 spline open carrier axle is "S615E". That is the perfect one. But if you can’t find one with disc brakes don’t worry. Its four bolts to pull brakes off and swap them with another 8.8 in the yard. I got that tag number from FORDification.com.
        Cool to know that about the brakes, Thanks alot, I found a site talking about everything for this swap, from where to buy kits to which ones have a trac-loc. Site is down right now, but will post it up later when it is up. It has everything you need to know. I think I'm going for it. As soon as I find a decent one, I'm picking it up. I will probably replace the carrier with a carrier locker since I hear that is the weak point.
        YJ Stock
        BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

It is. When I had the trac-loc I rebuilt it and over shimed it so it would transfer the torque sooner. When I took it in to oceanside Driveline to replace the ring and pinion they warnd me that they see a lot of carriers brake in two from over shimming the trac-loc.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal4X View Post
            I really don't feel to comfortable with the D35 and want to play in the big rocks. My plan is to run it for a while, but wouldn't mind to start building something up taking my time, as funds permit. What do you guys know about the 8.8? Pros and Cons? Would like to hear from the guys that have them.

Does anyone sell a kit for a conversion?

What I've learned so far: get an Explorer 8.8 from 95-2000 because of the disk brakes and they're about an inch shorter in width. And that some come in 3.73, 4.10 gearing, some even with a trac-loc. I've seen some really good deals.
            Thanks, Jorge
            Smart thinking about the Dana 35. I tried the Super 35 kit in my axle and it worked, for a while. But, I always knew that I would get stuck one day with a broken axle. Fortunately, the folks from Point Magu 4x4 happened along and helped get me out of a situation!(The axles tubes rotated opposite of each other and the pinion rotated from the 9 o'clock position to the 12 o'clock position)
            Although I don't work for Currie: I am a big fan of the Currie HP 9" axle that I bought and painlessly installed. When I eventually break the front Dana 30, I will buy a 9" HP for the front! Matching axles, how cute!
            I would surmise that the 8.8" axle should do well for you as long as your tire size stays between 33-35". The folks over at M.O.R.E. have install kits for the 8.8" that will make your life a lot easier.
            http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catal...stall-kit.html
            I thought that I saw an axle truss out on the internet somewhere....
            Money pit!

Comment

A truss and welding the axle tubes make the 8.8 a pretty strong axle, also look into the super 8.8 kit from superior

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                A truss and welding the axle tubes make the 8.8 a pretty strong axle, also look into the super 8.8 kit from superior
                Here is some info about a truss for an 8.8.
                http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...rear_axle.html

Money pit!

Comment

It's a TnT truss they make some sweet stuff. Very nice axle setup is about as good as it gets for a affordable yet string setup

Comment

hmm I want a truss...
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Contact these guys for their pretty eye candy.
                      http://www.gotreks.com/treks_home.asp

Ask them for their truss for a 8.8 axle

Comment

If anyone runs across an 8.8 with disk brakes and limited slip at a decent price, let me know. Prefer 4.10s

Thanks for the pointers.
                        YJ Stock
                        BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal4X View Post
                          If anyone runs across an 8.8 with disk brakes and limited slip at a decent price, let me know. Prefer 4.10s

Thanks for the pointers.
                          Call Ken I bet he has one.

Or drive here
                          http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/1315057612.html

http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/1298163091.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/1316812668.html
                          Last edited by Jeep4cern; 08-12-09, 11:04 AM.

Comment

The San Diego one is out of a Ranger, which only has 29 spline axles and is wider. Stick to the Explorer axles, which have the 31 spline. I think they may have 33 spline as well, but I'm not 100%.
                            2nd Fresno one is too old, I wouldn't buy it...
                            Last edited by 98RedTJ; 08-12-09, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 98RedTJ View Post
                              The San Diego one is out of a Ranger, which only has 29 spline axles and is wider. Stick to the Explorer axles, which have the 31 spline. I think they may have 33 spline as well, but I'm not 100%.
                              2nd Fresno one is too old, I wouldn't buy it...
                              I tried Call Ken then. He is the man to get it for you then.

Comment

Working...
                              X