Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Safety Switch for Jeep Cherokee

I have been told that my '94 Jeep Cherokee is in need of a neutral safety switch...they say it's caked with mud and other trail debris...go figure!! Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Has anyone replaced this part on their Jeep? I want to know if this is a possible do-it-yourself fix or not. I also need to replace the master window switch and figured this was a no-brainer that could be done at home as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! :cone:

Look on the Naxja forum, it's possible to clean the neutral switch but the thing is somewhat complicated inside. Also replacements are not cheap

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"] Check the trans out to find the 3-wires coming out of it. I had to replace mine on the YJ recently. For me it was a $12.00 part, took less than 5 minutes. Of course, it's not a cherokee, by Art's comment, I would assume yous may be more involved. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Yup the one for a overdrive trans is way more involved.
        But you can take it apart to clean the contacts

Comment

JP magazine just did a story about this a few issues back, you can prolly find the article online...
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Are you certain a stretched or out of ajustment transmission shifter cable is not making the NSS to appear faulty? If the shifter cable has streteched/is out of adjustment, it can very easily make the NSS to erroneously appear bad.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

It can also be a bad wire or fuse. I just dealt with the NSS on my '96 Saab. Naturally, the fuses were the first thing I checked--two or three times. Then I tore open the NSS itself, sanded the contacts, and regreased it. I ended up doing that twice. (New Saab NSSs cost over $300). The second time I broke the shift cable. After reinstalling the new cable (PITA) and adjusting the NSS, it still wasn't working right. Once again I checked the fuse, and voila--it was burned out. I replaced it and my computer controlled automatic actually worked again! If I didn't know I'd checked the fuse first thing I would have kicked myself. But I did check it--I did! It must have burned out sometime after I started tearing things apart, right!?
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
              X