Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Rear Cage suggestions without bends

I'm putting in a front add on cage from S&W this weekend. Wondering if anyone has a cage picture or ideas for doing the rear without any bends. I do not have access to a bender and was thinking about trying the rear with just straight tubing.

Or anyone know someone that bends, I think just the rear tube that goes across to make it level with the center hoop.
    YJ Stock
    BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Jeep4cern did a really nice rear cage enforcement with no bends I think he has pictures on a thread hear. His came out really well IMO.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks Scott! I just need to clean up the paint or put some foam on it.

Here SoCal4x. Some pictures. I hope this helps.

Ron

Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-30-09, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal4X View Post
        I'm putting in a front add on cage from S&W this weekend. Wondering if anyone has a cage picture or ideas for doing the rear without any bends. I do not have access to a bender and was thinking about trying the rear with just straight tubing.

Or anyone know someone that bends, I think just the rear tube that goes across to make it level with the center hoop.
        If you plan on using the rear seat for anything other then kids, head room might become an issue. If you can wait a couple weeks, I have a tube bender down here in Temecula and can make some stuff up for a small fee. Call me if you're interested.

-Chris
        951-551-6181
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
          If you plan on using the rear seat for anything other then kids, head room might become an issue. If you can wait a couple weeks, I have a tube bender down here in Temecula and can make some stuff up for a small fee. Call me if you're interested.

-Chris
          951-551-6181
          Very cool guys, I like the rear Jeep4cern, only thing is that I wanted to run some runners from the middle to the rear and that is where there is a height difference.

I'm not in a rush Chris, I'll be taking you up on that offer as I will have to order the dom.

Thanks fellas
          YJ Stock
          BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
            Thanks Scott! I just need to clean up the paint or put some foam on it.
            What did you do for paint and how is it holding up?
            YJ Stock
            BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Did you paint the cage while it was in the Jeep? If so, any advice on how not make a mess of everything? I'm going to be removing my padding soon to add some support peices and have heard on late TJs that the cages are not fully painted.
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                Did you paint the cage while it was in the Jeep? If so, any advice on how not make a mess of everything? I'm going to be removing my padding soon to add some support peices and have heard on late TJs that the cages are not fully painted.
                I've painted mine in the Jeep twice now. The first time was cage install weekend, and we were losing daylight. It was a rush job, and I had surface rust within about 6 months (the top was off the Jeep for most of that) and I re-painted it about 10 months after the first. This time I took my time to clean everything, prime it well, and make sure everything was painted well.

My advice? Pull the carpet, seats, seat belts, drop the windshield and use drop cloths/plastic/newspaper/painting tape/etc. You'd be surprised how easy it is to strip the "contents" of a Jeep. To pull seats, belts, carpet, etc. it is probably only an hour's worth of work.

I don't have any pictures of the second paint job, but I prepped the Jeep a little better and was much more pleased with the results.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

It may have been just as fast to pull the cage out, at least that way you can still drive it. just my .02
                  Its no fun without family

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal4X View Post
                    What did you do for paint and how is it holding up?
                    I got the stuff at Lowes. The lady said they guys use it for motor paint too. It has done good. It's just the job I did..lol. I will wet sand it and/or put some foam over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                      My wife did a great job helping. It was me! We did lay a drop cloth down. The stuff we got was kind of thick. We used a foam brush. So, we didn't spray it. We just foam brushed it. No, you can't see the strokes. Well at least on wife's side. lol Thus, the reason I need to wet sand my side.

We got some sort of engine paint or something from Lowes. Silver can I think. I can look in garage if I still have the can?

Comment

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
                        It may have been just as fast to pull the cage out, at least that way you can still drive it. just my .02
                        Not on my cage. The floor plate for the A-pillar wouldn't come up through the dash without cutting it & re-welding it, or taking the entire dash off.

Also, for somebody with the stock cage, that's probably not a good idea, because the stock bolts are STUCK STUCK STUUUUCK in. We destroyed 3 T-55 bits getting the stock bolts out:

[nana]</hijack>[/nana]
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Thanks guys...still waiting to see what exactly I find under the padding. Might just replace the padding if it's not painted and cut some slits for the additional pieces.
                          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            the stock bolts are STUCK STUCK STUUUUCK in. We destroyed 3 T-55 bits getting the stock bolts out
                            Yeah, it's that structural cement that's gooped all over the tub. I burned it off with a torch. Nice fumes....mmmm!

One big problem with the factory "sport bar" is its lack of lateral rigidity. One roll and the whole thing will get pushed to one side, taking the sides of the tub with it. Some lateral bracing at the B-pillars could be a big improvement.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

You are absolutely right about that David and it's one of the things I plan on upgrading, after looking at Blackzzr's Jeep it was fairly evedint what needs improving to keep a cage from skewing in a bad or highspeed flop or roll

Comment

Working...
                              X