Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the only way to understand how it reacts on the road is to post your findings. So, I posted mine in 95* weather with a 180* stat. Can someone post with their's in 95* weather with a 195* stat? Maybe it's the same and I am wrong? I am really curious.

Comment

Highway driving doesn't really tax the cooling system.
      Now being stuck in traffic with the AC blasting or sitting in line at a drivtrought in 110 degree weather with the ac on or crawling in 4 lo and first gear in hot weather, will tell you if your cooling system is up to the task.
      Also for accurate tempreadings you would want to measure at the back side of the thermostat housing or with a infrared thermometer measure at the thermostat hosuingand add about 10 degrees fahrenheid. Truth be told normal working temp in summer is upwards of 210 degrees regardless of what the temp gauge tells you, Using a scanner and looking at what the ect send for temp reading to the ecm is a more accurate reading than trying to measure temp in the radiator at idle. for one the radiator cools the coolant nor is this a reading at working condition under load. Not to be argumentative but it's good to have an understanding of what goes on and what to do when its not working as intended. Actually what you are measuring Ron is the minimum temperature or something close to that, which really doesn't have that much importance will it take a bit longer to get hotter mostlikely will it keep it from overheating on a long grade or when crawling heck no.
      Last edited by aw12345; 07-31-09, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        Highway driving doesn't really tax the cooling system.Now being stuck in traffic with the AC blasting or sitting in line at a drivtrought in 110 degree weather with the ac on or crawling in 4 lo and first gear in hot weather, will tell you if your cooling system is up to the task. Also for accurate tempreadings you would want to measure at the back side of the thermostat housing or with a infrared thermometer measure at the thermostat hosuingand add about 10 degrees fahrenheid. Truth be told normal working temp in summer is upwards of 210 degrees regardless of what the temp gauge tells you, Using a scanner and looking at what the ect send for temp reading to the ecm is a more accurate reading than trying to measure temp in the radiator at idle. for one the radiator cools the coolant nor is this a reading at working condition under load. Not to be argumentative but it's good to have an understanding of what goes on and what to do when its not working as intended

I agree. But it sure did me that day it was 115* outside. I asked a few of you at Cleghorn and I was told by everyone I asked they were running 220-225* on their gauge on the freeway.

Now, that's what was weird! On the trail that day, she was running at 180*! I remember talking to Jerald about it that day.

Your probably right. The guage picture is me driving though. Showing it at 177*

No, that's fine. Can you the next time it's 95* +/- checks yours too. Just to see if I am understanding it? Thanks. This would help. Again, the picture of the guage is it driving. It stays there after the mods I posted.
        Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-31-09, 04:49 PM.

Comment

My put put has an electric fan, and runs around 210 all the time , that's wahts normal for it. Your best upgrade was the 7 blade fan a very wise choice, it will do more for your jeep than fiddling with cooler thermostats. essentially if you run it hard and when you shut it of it doesn't start gurgling you are doing pretty good regardless of what the gauge reads

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            My put put has an electric fan, and runs around 210 all the time , that's wahts normal for it. Your best upgrade was the 7 blade fan a very wise choice, it will do more for your jeep than fiddling with cooler thermostats. essentially if you run it hard and when you shut it of it doesn't start gurgling you are doing pretty good regardless of what the gauge reads
            I have yet to get her that high now with my setup. She never sees 210* She runs at the picture shown. I was going to go with a electric fan and decided not to after I couldn't get it to fit.

Thanks, I think that is why she runs so cool.

Comment

Working...
            X