Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Temp should my Tj be at?

1. What temp should my 2000 TJ be running at--I have 456 gears w/ 35s.

2. When i did a body lift, it seemed to start running hotter--i also did a engine mount lift.

It passes 210 all the time and when i turned it off today i could hear a bunch of coolant boiling inside. Is that norma?

If it's the 6 cyl. it should always run at 210,
    And no, you should not hear boiling noises.

Scott

Comment

wow, any suggestions on why i'm running at a little over 210. Gauge reads about maybe 215. Any idea why i'm hear bubbling when i shut my engine off?

Comment

If you are hearing the bubbling and your temp is good (mine stays right around 210, but may go a tiny bit over, but never close to the red . . . 215 would just be boiling water, should take more than that to boil the coolant) . . . check the radiator cap. I read somewhere that if the radiator cap goes bad, you won't have the proper pressure and you'll hear a bubbling noise . . . Rick was having the bubbling noise and we thought it was boiling, but the temp guage read correctly . . . new radiator cap and the noise seems to have left. Cheap fix if that's the problem.
        Last edited by Schmo; 07-18-09, 11:59 PM.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Roy,

My YJ always runs at 210'. Yesterday (103' on the trail) while climbing slow in 4 low it got up to 220'. When we stopped, i reved the motor for a few minutes and it cooled back to 210'. But it did the boil thing for 10 minutes after shutting it off. I have found that a little extra RPM on the trail helps. I have a 3 speed auto and just manually lock it in a gear that keeps the RPM's a little higher.

Mitch

Comment

Shoot mine got up to about 225 when going up the cajon to the cleg horn run.It has never got in the red but it is creeping up on it especially in hot weather and climbing any sort of grade at high speed. I have a 2 year old 3 row brass radiator and a 180 thermostat. It seems to run a little warmer in 80+ degree weather when on the freeway or on a grade but when idlling or cruising slow it run 180-190. I seem to think it has something to do with airflow maybe the 3 row which is thicker core is not letting enough air pass through. I also notice it started running warmer when I put the winch on. A radiator cap should fix the boiling but if you have one of those aluminum plastic tank radiators dont put the wrong pressure cap or youll blow the plastic tank up.

Comment

I just went through all this in my wife Dodge. The boiling over is probably the radiator cap. If it was me, I would (which I did) replace the cap, t-stat, and coolant. But, if would bet it's your radiator cap though.

As for my Jeep YJ. I just replaced the radiator cap, t-stat (180*), new belt, and fan clutch, and coolant. I was told previousowner replaced radiator with a bigger one. Last night going down the 15fwy and it was about 110* outside, the guage was reading over 210* (guessing 225*). On the trail though she was at 185*. I asked the guys last night (Cleghorn run) what they were running at and they said 210-225* on the freeway as well. and 210* on the trail. So I was avg (on fwy) and below avg (on the trail). But your boiling over isn't right and again I would start with the radiator cap for $6 and get the pressure relief cap too!
              Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-19-09, 11:06 AM.

Comment

210-220 is perfectly normal, especially now that the weather is hot.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Ok, here is my plan after all the feedback. I am going to go to the dealer and pick up a new cap. I am hoping that is the problem with the boiling.

The temp does not show overheating and doesn't go over a little over 210 so i think the temp gauge is working. So process of elimination, cap first then if that does not work, i'll move to the next step.

I will post tomorrow with update.

Thank you all very much.

Roy

Comment

Don't be tempted to try a 20 lb. cap, go no higher than the factor specified 18 lb. cap.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Awesome--Thanks, i changed the cap and seems to have fixed the boiling. After reading the comments, i guess a little over 210 is normal then. I never overheat and at most my gauge reads a little over 210, then it will drop back to 210.

But more importantly, no more boiling. Thanks, for all the help to my fellow Jeepers!

Comment

Originally posted by rd3100 View Post
                        Awesome--Thanks, i changed the cap and seems to have fixed the boiling. After reading the comments, i guess a little over 210 is normal then. I never overheat and at most my gauge reads a little over 210, then it will drop back to 210.

But more importantly, no more boiling. Thanks, for all the help to my fellow Jeepers!
                        I think Sears does a flush for $79. Maybe flush the old coolant out also. Wouldn't hurt. I usually do the t-stat and a coolant flush at the same time.

Just my :2:

Comment

Working...
                        X