Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuneup

What exactly do i need to tune-up my 2000 TJ? Spark plugs, plugs?

Depending on mileage. You can add a air filter, O2 sensor. Thermo stat, and coolant flush.

Comment

Do I change spark plugs? I have 120k. I'm confused on whether there are spark plugs

Comment

Oh, there are plugs..........
        What is your "background" as far as DIY.
        Do you have a Factory service man.?
        Do you have the tools do do the job?
        Respectfully,
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I'm pretty good with doing the Oil and the other basic mechanical tasks; Ok, thanks for the info....just wanted to make sure before i began

Comment

All gasoline engines have spark plugs, yours are just hidden under the coil rail which has the ignition coils. Be wary of the type of spark plugs you install, newer engines 2000 and newer are very fussy about what they get. Two plugs I recommend for newer engines like yours are Champion 7034 and Autolite APP985. Both are dual-platinum plugs so they'll last pretty close to 100K if not more.

Avoid installing any single-tipped platinum plugs like Autolite's AP985 which will start causing odd engine idle and running problems after a while.

Or you can install a conventional non-platinum spark plug that is good for 25K miles or so, your engine isn't fussy about conventional spark plug. I would definitely avoid Bosch Plus2 and Plus4 plugs, they don't run well in our Jeep engines and also avoid the gimmicky Splitfire plugs.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

That's awesome. That's the info i was looking for. I was really confused on the coil rail. Thanks guys

Comment

You might think about a fuel filter too. I'm about to get a new one for mine. Better than waiting for it to start making your injun sputter.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                  You might think about a fuel filter too. I'm about to get a new one for mine. Better than waiting for it to start making your injun sputter.
                  Not for a TJ since the fuel filter was designed as a lifetime filter and you have to drop the fuel tank to even get to it. To replace the filter, you have to replace the fuel pressure regulator too IIRC. It's located inside the fuel pressure regulator atop the fuel pump. It's truly a lifetime filter, it's completely different from the gas filters of old that were easily cleaned and were usually in the fuel line next to the carburetor/TB/fuel injectors.

Comment

I went to Napa auto Parts and got quoted $166.47 for the Coil Rail. Do i need to change that out too or should i just replace the boots @ $6.00 a piece?

Comment

Originally posted by rd3100 View Post
                      I went to Napa auto Parts and got quoted $166.47 for the Coil Rail. Do i need to change that out too or should i just replace the boots @ $6.00 a piece?
                      No need. Just replace your plugs and wires. Do them one at a time and it will be easy. Each wire is a different length so all you have to do is pull one off and match it up to the new one and put it on the Jeep. Be careful not to cross thread the plugs. Put them in by hand. You should be able to get them in two or three turns by hand.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

or if you cant get your fingers in there put a short section ( like 6" or so) over the plug, put the plug in the hole and run it backwards until you feel the threads jump then go forrward easy, should go right in. I also like to use a little neversieze on the threads to make next time that much easier
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                          or if you cant get your fingers in there put a short section of hose ( like 6" or so) over the plug, put the plug in the hole and run it backwards until you feel the threads jump then go forrward easy, should go right in. I also like to use a little neversieze on the threads to make next time that much easier
                          I think he ment this..
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                            I think he ment this..
                            I think you're right. Vacuum hose over the top of the plug makes it easy to put a plug in that is hard to reach without accidentally cross threading it.
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                              No need. Just replace your plugs and wires. Do them one at a time and it will be easy. Each wire is a different length so all you have to do is pull one off and match it up to the new one and put it on the Jeep.
                              TJ 4.0L engines after 1999 don't have separate ignition wires any more, they have an ignition coil for each two spark plugs which eliminates the distributor, distributor cap, rotor, and the ignition wires.

This is why the newer 4.0L engines are fussier about the type of spark plugs that get installed into them, because of how each coil fires two plugs at once with only one of them firing during its compression stroke. Single-tipped platinum plugs that have a different material on the two sides of the gap can cause a misfire that doesn't happen with double-tipped platinum (platinum on both sides of the gap) or conventional plugs.

And RD3100, no need to replace the coil rails. They are your ignition coils and they only get replaced if they go bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X