Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced fan clutch w/Imperial

Well, I replaced the fan clutch. The electric fan wouldn't fit since I had a bigger radiator and I didn't want to do some modifications. I removed the old fan clutch. Tried to spin it. I had to use some effort. The new one would spin easier. The new one is my Imperial at AutoZone and is a heavy duty.

After I put it on, I took it for a test spin. I noticed a lot less noise from the fan. More power in the Jeep. No joke! So much so, I told the wife to take it for a test spin as it lost some power and I was worried. She returned and said she felt the oposite. So, I was right. The temp was running cooler. I'll check another time in mid day and see how she does.I opened the hood and I can feel the fan blowing the air in there. Feels stronger. But, over all, I wonder if that old fan clutch was robbing some poonies and keeping her temp running higher?

If it robs ponies it means its drawing air which is exactly what it is supposed to do. A fan clutch is supposed to speed up and start drawing a lot of air through the radiator when the bimetalic coil spring in the front of it hits its target temperature. The cheaper ones do not draw as much air and are prone to cause some overheating issues. It is not all that easy to find good heavy duty fan clutches

Comment

It said it was heavy duty. Well see At idle I can hear it on, then when I rev the rpm's I can hear it shut off.

Comment

Ron,
        What temp are you running at?

Scott

Comment

Now or before?

Last night was about 185* based on the guage. I have used a digital guage and stuck it in the coolant before. So, I can kind of tell what the dash guage is now. I did a quick trip down Hesperia road by Toys For Trucks.

I'll do it later this after noon and see what it reads again. It seemed last night to run cooler and ran better too.

Comment

What was it before?

Comment

About 210-220* on the 15 freeway around 395 hwy going down the hill.

Comment

210 is normal for your Jeep.

The inline 6 / fuel injected always runs at 210.

Scott

Comment

Ok. Seem warm to me. I like it around 190* personally. Gives me some room But, I will check it out today. As of last night she was running good. It was warm last night too. I'll post back. I replaced the t-stat (180*), fresh coolant, radiator cap. Previous owner put a bigger radiator in. So, after this I should be good to go.

Footnote: Those nuts that go over the bolts for the water pump barely poke through (holds the fan clutch on). One or two threads. Yikes.
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-16-09, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Jeep4cern...
                    YIKES, that is NOT enough thread to hold those nuts on !!
                    Check the base thickness of your old f/clutch to the new one.
                    WHEN that F/clutch comes loose--it WILL tear up a bunch(rad.,fan, belt etc.)of stuff($$$)
                    FIX it ASAP..........
                    Respectfully,
                    LG
                    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

The base looked the same! Can you post pics so I can compare? I threw the old one out and I think trash guy already came.

Comment

A quick look at the receipt from AutoZone says #922737. That's the correct one.

I found this of someone elses. Looks the same. You had me worried for nothing
                        Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-16-09, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Hi again,
                          OK-OK,, you said it was being held by 1 or 2 threads.
                          That is NOT what the picture shows. You have 100% engagement with 1-2 threads protruding from the nut(the "dead" side of the fastener).
                          FWIW: You don't have room for lock washers due to thread length issues so I would use a DROP of BLUE loc-tite on the threads(take 1 nut at a time off, put a drop of L/T on your finger and touch it to the threaded stud, then put the nut back on :-)
                          Happy Jeeping.
                          FWIW: my remarks were based on what you posted and "I" read it to say you only had 1 or 2 threads holding the nut on...... I didn't want you to have an issue with a "dead" Jeep in this summer heat is all.
                          Respectfully,
                          LG

Comment

Sorry I was clear enough when I put "barely poke through". I thought you would get that it goes through the nut and "pokes through".

There is some sort of a washer on the nut. Like a star "type". But, I could put some blue glue on there. Wouldn't hurt.

Oh, I agree! Thanks for the help. That photo isn't mine, I found it. But, Mine is the same. Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

Hi, if you have the "star" type lock washer you should be GTG.
                              It's a PITA to change out those F/Cs because it's a very tight space with LOTS of sharp edges to deal with.
                              Respectfully,
                              LG

Comment

Working...
                              X