Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting my Jeep

So I am planning on putting a 3 or 4 inch lift on my jeep and running 33 inch tires. I'm gonna be using my Jeep for road driving, trail riding, and a little rock crawling. So I would like to know...

1. What are the best 3 or 4 inch kits for me
    2. How much do the cost

Oh... And I dont want to be spending more than $800 on a lift kit

I got my 4" lift from Rough Country. It was shipped to my door for $495 Ryan included the upgraded 2.2 shocks and the steering stabilizer shock as well. Ride is ok. I am sure others will chime in. Oh, I have the YJ. I think you have the TJ. Price might be different.

Comment

I saw that rough country lift. Does it perform well off road? Was it hard to install?

Comment

I had mine done to be honest ($300). But, I saw it done, and it's pretty easy. I am told your Jeep is easier. Maybe a few on here will chime. I think Dennis did his own? Maybe he will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ13 View Post
          So I am planning on putting a 3 or 4 inch lift on my jeep and running 33 inch tires. I'm gonna be using my Jeep for road driving, trail riding, and a little rock crawling. So I would like to know...

1. What are the best 3 or 4 inch kits for me
          2. How much do the cost

Oh... And I dont want to be spending more than $800 on a lift kit
          You need 4" for 33's on a TJ, $800 sounds unrealistic. You might consider a 2" body lift and a 2" Suspension lift.
          Don't forget the SYE and drive shaft if you fo much over 2" on a suspenion lift
          '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

tell you th truth, 800 smackers is just the start tolifting a TJ 4 inches. for that budget you need to go with a inch body lift and a 2 inch sping lift like a OME lift.
            The TJ was a huge advancement in susspensions over the YJ and earlier jeeps, and with that comes a cost difference when lifting. A lot of issues to be looked over because of the design of the stock jeep.
            I would never go over 1 inch on a body lift as it starts to bring in issues of it's own.
            Anyway, in the last few weks you have asked a lot of questions about your new jeep and have recieverd some good advice, unlike a lot of boards the longer term members at MJR are not going to blow a lot of smoke about lifts. To many of them wheel together and they know all about each others setups. I think asking for 800 dollars to settle a 4 inch lift on 33s is a lot to ask. A low budget lift usually means a low budget performing jeep.
            Look around for a 2 inch Old Man Emu set up and a 1 inch body lift and you wil have a nice setup that you can expand apon when you get more money.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Save your money for a while longer. Don’t Stress about what you don’t have. Get all your safety and recovery gear, then get out on the dirt and drive that Jeep. I don’t know of any lift for a Jeep that someone hasn't done a write-up on how to install, how much it cost them, and their impressions of the lift. Search around the internet while you are saving your money and do it right the first time.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Good starting point for a budget setup is some coil spring spacers in 2", add in a 1-1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift like JKS makes. The mm lift will fix the fan clearance from lifting the body, help your rear driveline angle, and Keep you from having to drop the belly skid which just loses you clearance.

My sons Tj build has the above and so far it all looks and feels like it is going to work just fine. Future upgrade plan is to add OME 2" springs and lose the spacers and then add a tummy tucker type belly pan to gain clearance. W/ the lower suspension lift height along w/ the mm lift, the expectation is we won't need a SYE so we can save up for that later.

We have some poison spyder tube fenders that should allow plenty of front tire clearance up to 33's on this combo.

Comment

fwiw, here are pics of what we started w/ and where we ended up after mods listed.

Comment

Working...
                  X