Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan conversion for YJ

I did a search on "electric fan conversion" on here and came up with nothing. So, I decided to post

I did some research and found some using the Lincoln 4.6 or Taurus 3.8 dual speed fan. What year though? Anything better? Is there a write up?

Thanks

The Taurus fan is a 90-95 3.8 liter. It's an inexpensive conversion.

Arguably the best fans are Spal, but not cheapest.

I've heard several complaints about the Flex-a-lite.

Are you having overheating problems?

Comment

i just did the electric fan swap on my 2.5L and it was easy as pie! i went to my local parts store and purchased a 16 inch electric fan and a controller. next i took off my fan shroud and removed my mechanical fan, 4 11mm bolts if memory serves. in the electric fan kit, it has a set of zip ties with backer plates that you insert into the rad between the fins. then you secure the fan to the rad with that. next you mount your controller, i just mounted mine on the inner fender beside the fuse panel. next i ran my wires to the fan and inserted the temp sensor into the rad between the fins. next i checked on my fuse panel under the hood what had power when i hit the igniton, i ended up using spade connectors to get power from an empty a/c relay because i dont have that option. once everything was connected i fired up the jeep and let her warm up, on the controller there is a set screw to set when the fan kicks on, i set it to where my jeep ran with the mechanical fan about 100 degrees. i then reinstalled my fan shroud just because it holds my power steering bottle and rad fluid reservoir. i will make a bracket to hold those in the future. the 16 inch fan is capable of cooling upto a 350 ci motor so im safe with my 2.5L. in total it cost me around 65 bucks for the fan and maybe 15 for the controller. and a few connectors and some heat shrink tube. i cant wait for winter, my jeep is going to warm up so nicely without all the cold air blowing on it! plus i only notice the fan kicking on when im at speeds under 20K or parked and idleing, makes life easyer on the old girl. hope this helps and wasnt too long. i can get pictures if you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
        The Taurus fan is a 90-95 3.8 liter. It's an inexpensive conversion.

Arguably the best fans are Spal, but not cheapest.

I've heard several complaints about the Flex-a-lite.

Are you having overheating problems?
        New belt, hoses, coolant, radiator cap, and 180* t-stat. But, the other day she ran a pinch over 210* (normally she is at 185*). I heard some say it's normal. But, thats a little hot to me. So, I found some of the Taurus and Lincoln fans on ebay for cheap. I even found a picture of one installed. So, for $60 if that helps, its a cheap fix.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
          i just did the electric fan swap on my 2.5L and it was easy as pie! i went to my local parts store and purchased a 16 inch electric fan and a controller. next i took off my fan shroud and removed my mechanical fan, 4 11mm bolts if memory serves. in the electric fan kit, it has a set of zip ties with backer plates that you insert into the rad between the fins. then you secure the fan to the rad with that. next you mount your controller, i just mounted mine on the inner fender beside the fuse panel. next i ran my wires to the fan and inserted the temp sensor into the rad between the fins. next i checked on my fuse panel under the hood what had power when i hit the igniton, i ended up using spade connectors to get power from an empty a/c relay because i dont have that option. once everything was connected i fired up the jeep and let her warm up, on the controller there is a set screw to set when the fan kicks on, i set it to where my jeep ran with the mechanical fan about 100 degrees. i then reinstalled my fan shroud just because it holds my power steering bottle and rad fluid reservoir. i will make a bracket to hold those in the future. the 16 inch fan is capable of cooling upto a 350 ci motor so im safe with my 2.5L. in total it cost me around 65 bucks for the fan and maybe 15 for the controller. and a few connectors and some heat shrink tube. i cant wait for winter, my jeep is going to warm up so nicely without all the cold air blowing on it! plus i only notice the fan kicking on when im at speeds under 20K or parked and idleing, makes life easyer on the old girl. hope this helps and wasnt too long. i can get pictures if you would like.

Sounds good. Any pictures?

I found this. It's for a ZJ, but it's a 4.0l
          http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/

Comment

I do like this diagram. Unless someone tells me an easier way

Also, someone said to use a Ford 7.3l diesel glow plug replay. Heavy duty and will last longer and easier to find?

Comment

Most modern engines are designed to run at a little over 200* to pass emissions. I don't know if you can pass smog running at 185*

Comment

I have done it before without issue (Suburban and Jeep Grand). But, if they get me this time around, I put the right one in. No biggy. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I would verify that your overheating issues are not your radiator and/or water pump first. The other component to verify is your fan clutch. The stock system should work just fine.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                    I would verify that your overheating issues are not your radiator and/or water pump first. The other component to verify is your fan clutch. The stock system should work just fine.
                    Radiator was replaced by previous owner. I am thinking it's the clutch fan. I hear it engage, but not that loud. But, it's a nice project I "might" just do the eletric fan anyways. I think I can do it myself. Well see

Comment

Where do I get a 3-way switch at?

Comment

Radio shack and frys has them.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                        X