Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's and Con's of flat towing

I wanted to get some feedback on flat towing. The obvious issues of "wear on tires" , but is there potential to damage anything in the drive train? Do i need to do anything besides put it in neutral ?
    Living the Dream"!
    , Joe

I hate to be the "USE THE SEARCH" guy... but... USE THE SEARCH!!!

This is a pretty common topic and there have been a couple recent thread worth reading:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12284
    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13694
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
      I hate to be the "USE THE SEARCH" guy... but... USE THE SEARCH!!!
      Mat ,you are the guy!
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Here, a little more direct for you.

Pro's
        Less towed weight
        You don't need a place to store the trailer at home or on the trail.

Con's
        Wear on the tires and drive train
        No need to disconnect driveshafts
        Brake bad enough on the trail and you have to trailer
        Can't back up and turn
        Lots of vehicle sway
        No need to air up with a trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
          Brake bad enough on the trail and you have to trailer
          This is why I trailer versus flat tow. A little added comfort when your far from home.
          Check out .

Comment

I think most of the time people flat tow as a last resort. If you don’t have room for a trailer, if your tow rig can’t handle the extra 1000 lbs the trailer adds. It’s a compromise. If you can, get a trailer.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Car hauling trailers with tandem #3,500 axles start at ~ #1,700 for aluminum. Even the lighter (cheaper) steel trailers are around #2,500.

Trailers are much safer. They won't try to steer your tow vehicle like a wide, mud tired, flat towed Jeep will. They provide extra braking capacity. And if a trailer tire blows while being towed, it's much easier to control then if your Jeep tire goes out while being flat towed.
              Last edited by Double AA; 07-02-09, 04:18 PM.

Comment

In California you must have trailer brakes on anything over 1500 pounds. A brake Buddy is $1000. For $1600 I got a Carson Trailer with brakes.
                Gregg Turk
                West Oak Hills
                greggturk.com
                95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

Hi, you don't need a braking setup to tow a vic. behind you. That section is for TRAILERS.......
                  One of the "cons" to "flat-towing" is the lube issue(rear output shaft bearing)with Dana 20 & 300 t/cases(Jeep CJ's).
                  I have rebuilt few of them over the years and that is WHY that I pull the rear D/S when I tow mine.
                  Respectfully,
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                    Hi, you don't need a braking setup to tow a vic. behind you. That section is for TRAILERS.......
                    CVC26454. (a) The service brakes of every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle or combination of vehicles under all conditions of loading on any grade on which it is operated.
                    Last edited by FishPOET; 07-16-09, 05:39 PM.
                    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by tgregg View Post
                      In California you must have trailer brakes on anything over 1500 pounds. A brake Buddy is $1000. For $1600 I got a Carson Trailer with brakes.
                      26303. Every trailer coach and every camp trailer having a gross
                      weight of 1,500 pounds or more, but exclusive of passengers, shall be
                      equipped with brakes on at least two wheels which are adequate,
                      supplemental to the brakes on the towing vehicle, to enable the
                      combination of vehicles to comply with the stopping distance
                      requirements of Section 26454.

Comment

Hi, That 1500 lbs. is for a dedicated trailer.
                        NOT your Jeep etc. that you tow behind you.
                        Call CHP or DMV and they will tell you.
                        Respectfully,
                        Lg

Comment

I flat tow mine all the time behind my motorhome without any issues whatsoever. Just got back from yellowstone,almost 2000 miles. Put the T-case in nuetral and the tranny in gear. Only problem there is you can't back one up so you have to pay attention when you pull into a parking lot or such. The jeep has never swayed at all and i've got a rear camera on the motorhome so i see what it's doing at all times. I've even flat towed it behind my Tacoma for short distances but i would recommend at least a long wheelbase full size truck.

Comment

Hi TJ Clay, the TJ's seem to do well for lack of driveline lube issues with F/towing. The CJ's sure don't.
                            Half the time I forget my Jeep is behind me when I tow it(Chev. K-3500 "dually" w/11' Lance camper).
                            Respectfully,
                            LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                              Chev. K-3500 "dually" w/11' Lance camper
                              You don't have brake assist on 17,000 lbs going down the highway on a truck engineered to effectively stop 11,000 lbs?
                              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                              X