Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
    me to also can be used as a poor mans winch :thumbs_up
    Yeah all the Hi-Lift owners try to claim that as a benefit but the first time they actually use it for that will be the last time. Using a Hi-Lift as a winch is about as realistic as saying you can use a trowel to dig a hole for a swimming pool. Possible but not something a sane man would want to do. There are SO many issues using a Hi-Lift as a "winch" that it's not even funny. For one, you better have a LOT of chain because everything else is going to stretch enough to make it nearly impossible.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Both

For me, a High-lift (with a strap around the axle & frame) on the trail or a 3-ton floor jack at home. Both used with safety and confidence.

Steve
      All slow and no show

Comment

I would have to say, I don't own a Hilift, and havent needed one ...yet. But thats not to say I won't get one eventually just to have. The trusty aluminum floor jack has gotten me off the rocks a few times, and in a safer manner than the hilift. I think it's all a matter of preference. Any of the methods we use in the rocks is not exactly safe or in a way the jack was designed for, but with alittle common sense, they all can work effectively, with little to no injuries.
        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
          Yeah all the Hi-Lift owners try to claim that as a benefit but the first time they actually use it for that will be the last time. Using a Hi-Lift as a winch is about as realistic as saying you can use a trowel to dig a hole for a swimming pool. Possible but not something a sane man would want to do. There are SO many issues using a Hi-Lift as a "winch" that it's not even funny. For one, you better have a LOT of chain because everything else is going to stretch enough to make it nearly impossible.
          Poor men don't winch for the hell of it, they winch because they have to, and when you have to, you're happy to have whatever tools you can get. I pulled a 6000lb rig 40' up a steep hill with a 2-ton come-along a few feet at a time. I had lost the nut that holds it together so I used one off of my Jeep's battery hold-down. I had 60lbs of choke chain, a clevis, and a yankstrap. It was 95 degrees, I tore my shorts in half, I was bleeding and bruised from earlier in the day, and I enjoyed every minute of it. If I had wanted to take an escalator I would have gone to the mall instead.

Maybe I'm not sane, but I'd use a hi-lift as a winch, and you know what, I'd make it work, too. For that matter, if the solenoids burned out on your winch I'd pull your ass up a hill with one. You can drink beer and watch like the other guy did.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I have used a come a long before, did it for years till I could justify a winch. You know children's clothes and food somehow are more important than wheeling bling bling used. I had 2 4x4s during that time that a come a long was the only form of winch I ever used. I lived in Louisiana where the mud is thick and deep. A come a long only winches about 15 feet at a time, would not trade my memory of my daughter knee deep in mud falling backward after slipping and laughing her 7 year old head off as we were resetting a winch pull. That girl now can out wheel most of the guys in her club in Texas, loves a good mud bath, and thinks a good time involves a good old fashion winch fest.
            So what has this to do with a hi lift? Yep a poor man will use whatever is handy to get out, seen guys using a tire as a winch once ( results were not spectacular ) That hi lift is a handy multi tool, but as I stated earlier, I use it as a last result.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              For that matter, if the solenoids burned out on your winch I'd pull your ass up a hill with one.
              I get what you're saying... but the fortunate thing is that I have 3 spare solenoids with me at any one time. One spare solenoid is still in my spare parts box in the rear of the Jeep, and two more "out" solenoids inside the winch that can be swapped for either of the two "in" solenoids.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

you can also just stand there holding the wires together if the solenoid takes a :poop: I think quite a few of us have jumped a solenoid with a screwdriver, it's nice to have the spares, but a short piece of wire does the job as well. About the high lift, see who yer going to wheel with and see if they are bringing a hi lift to the party. I quit bringing mine just because there are 6-7 hi lift jacks on the trail every time I go out! I have a bottle jack to change a tire, but talk to the folks you are going to wheel with regular and split up some of the gear so you don't have so much junk weighing your rig down, as long as it's understood it's all good!
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                X