Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folks.... I need some help and advice...

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Folks.... I need some help and advice...

We had a fantastic weekend out on the Mountain. Friday we ran Jacoby Canyon hoping to see running water... saw a bit but not much... Later that night, we put those undercarriage lights to use on "The New and Improved" Gold Mountain trail. Everything went great!

Saturday we rolled out early early... we were on the trail by 7:30AM. Plan was to go up Big John Bull a good bit, about to the mid-point, stop, eat lunch and watch the Jeeps for ForestForest roll up and by... We had our cheerleaders faces ready!

I am getting to the part where I need some help...

We were rolling along doing well and the leader of the Big Bull Trail showed up with his 22 Jeeps of varied capabilities. He must have not slept well, or someone put a bowl of grumpys in his oatmeal.. or perhaps they pee'd in his wheaties.... Who knows... but he started belting out orders like everyone should get off the trail and let his group of 22 Jeeps pass... "You are welcome to come up after us, might learn something..." We kept on rolling up ahead, we were well past the gatekeeper and had no intention of stopping or slowing for him... especially the way he was throwing out the commands... Enough about King Dork!

We were rolling through the trail with relative ease... when I realised that my drivers rear tire was not turning with the other tire. I have it Detroit Loc'd and have never had an ounce of trouble with it until this trip... I didn't hear a funny or unusual noise or anything... A friend told me that I need to check out or swap out the spider gears... I wouldn't have a clue. Then later on down the trail I apparently beant my tierod. So that needs to be replaced too...

With all of the great expertise we have on this board, and with my access to lots of beer, I was hoping I could find some mechanical help to do most if not all of this work myself...

What do you say fellows! Anyone free to lend MyBrokenJeep a hand?
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

If you broke your Detroit, you can get replacement parts for it through 4 Wheel Parts.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
      If you broke your Detroit, you can get replacement parts for it through 4 Wheel Parts.
      Know anyone who can help me determine if I did break the parts and how to disassemble them and reassemble it? Or perhaps, know of skilled shop with reasonable rates in the Corona/Riverside area?
      Regards,
      Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

ha randy the next time you decide to spend the day with your family wheeling be considerate to the ones that hog the trail and expect you to stay home so they can enjoy there day .....thats why art and me did a midnight run ......NOT

Comment

Randy put the back end of the jeep on jackstands remove rear wheels and brake drums you will fond one fairly large hole in the axle shaft line that up with the 4 nuts behind it on the brake backing plate and remove those 4 nuts. then flip the brake drum over and shove it back on the wheel studs. oput 3 lugnuts back on the wheel studs several turns then bang the brake drum back and forth kinda like a slide hammer to pull the axle shaft out do this on both sides.
          If neither shaft is broken ( there are still splines on the end that goes inside of the axle) then you got a bad Detroit locker in that case remove rear diff cover, mark and take the bearing caps off and pull the locker out. From there you can have somebody repair it.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Randy put the back end of the jeep on jackstands remove rear wheels and brake drums you will fond one fairly large hole in the axle shaft line that up with the 4 nuts behind it on the brake backing plate and remove those 4 nuts. then flip the brake drum over and shove it back on the wheel studs. oput 3 lugnuts back on the wheel studs several turns then bang the brake drum back and forth kinda like a slide hammer to pull the axle shaft out do this on both sides.
            If neither shaft is broken ( there are still splines on the end that goes inside of the axle) then you got a bad Detroit locker in that case remove rear diff cover, mark and take the bearing caps off and pull the locker out. From there you can have somebody repair it.
            Art... Thats for the advice... Just not sure if my "mechanic'ing" experience is up to the "back and forth kinda like a slide hammer"... But I will give it a try... Any confident/competent people want to offer to come by to supervise?
            Regards,
            Randy

Comment

Originally posted by barney1 View Post
              ha randy the next time you decide to spend the day with your family wheeling be considerate to the ones that hog the trail and expect you to stay home so they can enjoy there day .....thats why art and me did a midnight run ......NOT
              Steve, the funniest part was... we stopped a little after 1/2 way and ate lunch... We were stopped for over an hour and the trail leader still never caught up to us... We finished the trail and circled back to watch the festivities and people were still trying to get up.
              Regards,
              Randy

Comment

Randy, I’m no genius mechanic but I'd be willing to help. It would have to be on the weekend because I am in Oceanside.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I'd be happy to help, but I'm up to my neck in broken cars here, and it's a long drive to Riverside.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                  X