Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Recovery points on Wrangler Unlimited

Howdy,
    Can anyone tell me if the recovery points(?) that come on a Wrangler Unlimited- being a bent steel bar loop welded onto a plate and bolted in two places to the left hand rear of the chasis plus the cast metal loop that sticks out through the front air dam and similarly attached to the chasis- are actually rated recovery points or just "lash down" points for shipping? Both seem to be fairly sturdy although the front loop does hang vertically which seems odd. I know the front air dam needs to come off ASAP or at least before the environment decides to remove it for me I do have a removable tow ball bracket and it has been suggested to get a recovery hook mounted on a spare tounge insert. I like the idea of having a centrally mounted recovery point but the majority seem to be on one side or the other (straight onto chasis ofcourse).

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Own Answer

Well, afer re-reading the owners manual it does say the front and rear recovery points are for offroad recovery and not to use them for highway towing (usual don't blame us backside covering). I will still have a chat to some local Jeep Club members but after re-inspecting the points they seem to be upto the job.

I guess some of New Zealand's wetter 4WD tracks mean that recoery points play a bigger part here than in California

Comment

Update

Well after a bit more local discusion and surfing around on the web I managed to score an extra tow bar insert from my local Jeep dealer (actually made for a Dodge Nitro but same size and load specs). They had it kicking around for a while so let me have it for just NZ$30! I just put a bow shackle through the hole for the tow ball and job done. Have also ordered the front tow hook package from MOPAR (Manufacturer Part No: 82210256)these are two hooks that project through the top of the factory front bumper.

Will update with photos of finished front and rear tow points when job complete.

Comment

Oh recovery points are necessary here in California, trust me....
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Not so Simple

Looks like the MOPAR front hooks don't work with the New Zealand spec bumper which is a different shape and set up to the US model- or at least the dealer's service guys weren't keen to cut my bumper in an attempt to make it work. They did however get an engineer down to advise and he suggested a couple of spacers to bring a set of aftermarket tow hooks down off the chasis rails to project through the front air dam (which I will take off at some point anyway). Theoretically this set up should prove stronger than the OEM front tow hook package due to the relative load ratings between the two types of hooks.

At least having ordered the MOPAR parts througth the dealer I don't have to pay for them and to date the dealer hasn't invoiced me for any work. As this is my first interaction with the parts and service arm of the dealership I must say so far I'm impressed.

Comment

It sounds like the NZ set up is different than what we usually see here in the States. Pics would definitely help.

Maybe some JK folks can chime in, but I didn't think that an air dam would be a part of the equation for tow points on the new models.

Based on what you have posted, I would say that you have adequate tow points already. I'm a little fuzzy on what they look like though.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Here's a pic of my front bumper. Note the position of the fog lamps plus the sweep up to meet the front wheel arch. I actually prefer this look to the gap which is on the US model. The protrusion that lines up with the crush cans on the US model seems to be offset on the NZ spec version and the recess on top of the same is also missing from my version. [/IMG]

Comment

where are the recovery points?
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

The new ones are booked to be installed this coming Wednesday so at present the only front recovery point is the cast loop you can just see hanging down under the left hand side of the bumper. Whilst looking strong and attaching pretty much where the MOPAR hooks would (although upside down) many including the dealer have said that this loop is only a lash down point.

Will post pic of completed work next week.

Comment

Finished!

Well attempt two with the dealer was successful. Nice neat job with two 10,000lb rated hooks up off the chasis. Worked out more expensive than what the MOPAR hooks would have been but they look good and should also function well.[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                    X