Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering issues

So humans, after john bull I'm getting the creeking,grinding noise every time I turn the steering wheel. I've tightened every bolt there is. It wont go away. Leaving the trail I did land on the driver side tire kinda hard but not crushing hard. I can hear it but I nor my friends can locate that noise. It sounds like its coming from the driver front end side.

So again, I turn the wheel and it goes creek crack etc. Weird. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks.

Turn the wheel and have someone listen and feel for it. If you cant locate it in the front suspension/steering, listen in the steering column.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Is your jeep coil or leaf spring ?
      Have you ck'd your steering bx mnt?
      Steel or alloy wheels? Recheck lug nuts with a torque wrench(85-95 ft. lbs.)
      Check your body mount bolts.
      Respectfully,
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Sometimes sound (creeking & grinding) can travel, and be decieving. Since you checked and tightened everything, also check all you weld seams on all bracketry, mounts etc.. hth.

Comment

Found it. The bolts bolting the track bar mount were loose. I feel so dumb, cause I checked everything but that. It did not move but was loose enought to bug me. Thanks.

Comment

So what about the vibration?
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I've come to learn to ignore the (new) noises my jeep/s come up with . Kinda' like I ignore the (new) noises, cracks , pops, my body has been coming up with throughout the years. Whats up my brotha'
              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

I would NOT ignore any vibration EVER. It usually means a bearing is being beat or is dieing. Also could be a balance issue or bent wheel. Even a tweaked d/shaft.
                Respectfully,
                LG
                Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by nikos View Post
                  Found it. The bolts bolting the track bar mount were loose. I feel so dumb, cause I checked everything but that. It did not move but was loose enought to bug me. Thanks.
                  lol. what a turkey.
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Just remember also when you have bump steer the culprit is usually the track bar! Get under that jeep more often.
                    2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Originally posted by New2image View Post
                      Just remember also when you have bump steer the culprit is usually the track bar! Get under that jeep more often.
                      Bumpsteer is a function of poor steering and suspension geometry. While this is usually the issue when encountering bumpsteer, loose hardware can imitate this. Before and after runs I like to put my hands on everything (this was especially true when the Jeep was a DD).
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                        loose hardware can imitate this. Before and after runs I like to put my hands on everything (this was especially true when the Jeep was a DD).
                        MY POINT EXACTLY Loose syspension and geometery all come into play.
                        When I changed my system over to a Tera Flex High Steer knuckle it took a while to dial it in but now with NO steering stabilizer and custom one ton ends and a custom track bar I can cruise a 75mph and NO worries of it bouncing to one side after a bump.
                        Poor geometery is just one part of the problem we deal with this every day at the shop.
                        2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Working...
                        X