Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifts and Warranties

OK, so I bought an '04 wrangler Unlimited last year with a little over 21K miles on it. I also purchased an 3yr/ 30,000 mile warranty for it. Now I'm looking to lift it. Does anyone know how lifts and warranties work? Do they void it all together? Does the car dealership i bought the jeep from have to install to keep the warranty or can any certified shop install? Any help is appreciated!!!!!

Originally posted by fftrmedic View Post
    OK, so I bought an '04 wrangler Unlimited last year with a little over 21K miles on it. I also purchased an 3yr/ 30,000 mile warranty for it. Now I'm looking to lift it. Does anyone know how lifts and warranties work? Do they void it all together? Does the car dealership i bought the jeep from have to install to keep the warranty or can any certified shop install? Any help is appreciated!!!!!
    This doesn't seem to be a cut and dry issue and seems to depend on the dealership/service manager. I had good luck getting warranty work on unrelated parts (starter, CAT, etc) after putting on my lift, but I'm pretty sure I would have had issues getting anything like diffs, axles, brakes, etc covered due to the bigger tires or lift. I'd probably call the dealership you go to and talk with them to get an idea of how they look at, not that it won't change as soon as an issue comes up.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

lifts and warrantes

read this link about warrantees, as long as the parts IE lift is not permanent you are ok! http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Comment

You're going to have a hard time with it. The law says that the warranty will be void on the parts modified (of course), but it also says if the dealer denies a warranty claim because an aftermarket part "caused" the problem, they have to prove it. I'm pretty sure that would be a long legal battle that no one would be interested in. If you're really worried about it I would either not do it or keep all the stock parts so it can be reverted back to stock, if needed.

If it were me I'd just assume the warranty is voided, and do it up.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I am personally a PITA (pain in the a$$). So, I would argue those facts a lift has nothing to do with a starter, etc. No manager wants you holding a sign in front of the dealership explaining how poor customer service is (I have personally seen it done). I took my Avalanche recently to the dealer. The alignment was still off after. Service writer said sorry your "sol". Because I waited a week to bring it in. I explained, if I was 19yrs old. I may bite. But, not at my age. I asked for the manager. He got on the phone. Ready to argue. I explained to him a nice white banner with red writing attached to my truck explaining his poor customer service along with a letter to the owner wouldn't go well with his boss for a $69 alignment. After a few seconds. He paused and said I was right. He fixed it. My wife picked it up and I meet her there. He asked her if I was the type to actually go through with it. My wife responded, you have no idea. If you knew my husband you wouldn't have asked. You would know the answer. She also told him I would ask how she was treated when she walked in. Which I did. They were nice to her lol. Of course not washed after service. I think that is their way of the middle finger. lol!
          Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-23-09, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I find the best way to keep in good relations with the service guys is to first, have it serviced where you bought it, second, be a repeat customer.
            years ago I found that buying a car for 1 0r 2 hundred dollars cheaper from a dealer 60 miles away cost a lot of money with service from the dealer close to you, I found that buying from the local guy who will be servicing the vehicle gets you better and faster atention when needed, they know you will be buying from them again. And they look past a ;ot of stuff they try to stick others with, like servicing my 08 Rubicon when I brought it in with a bent axle. I got it back the next day fixed for free. And it is lifted with big tires and has scrapes on the skid plates from dragging itover rocks.
            My tj they just got back from the dealer, a 04 I bought from them, they replaced the rear vacumn harness and oxygen sensor for free, and I have some serious wheeling scars up under that thing.
            So like Chriss said the law is a bit sticky, but a record of customer loyalty sets up the relationship in your favor. They realise that not servicing the waranty may cost them profits on a new car sales next year.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

I can tell you that when I was a service writer at a dealer, I would make my case to the service director by explaining how my customer was a loyal customer. So it is important to be in good relations with your service writer. But, you must complain. From the minute you walk on to the lot, don’t let any failure or mishap on the part of the dealer be left unnoticed. I’ve only been in the car business for five years. In my time I can tell you the people that complain get taken care of. These two things will guarantee that you get the most out of not only your warranty but your service dollar at the dealer.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                In my time I can tell you the people that complain get taken care of.
                It's called "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and isn't only true of warranty work...
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                  I can tell you that when I was a service writer at a dealer, I would make my case to the service director by explaining how my customer was a loyal customer. So it is important to be in good relations with your service writer. But, you must complain. From the minute you walk on to the lot, don’t let any failure or mishap on the part of the dealer be left unnoticed. I’ve only been in the car business for five years. In my time I can tell you the people that complain get taken care of. These two things will guarantee that you get the most out of not only your warranty but your service dollar at the dealer.
                  Agree. But, in my personal experience there is a right and wrong way to complain. Firm, but not over the top. Explain your issue and show them how it could happen to them and ask if they would be a happy camper.

If that doesn't work ask them for their first and last name. Explain how you noticed them with the lady worker there and need this information to google it to send a letter to their wife

<------------Laughing as I type this....
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-25-09, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I lifted my 06 rubi unlimited when it had about 6K on the odo. 6" lift running 35's with 5.13 gears and chromo axles. Around 29K I blew out the rear locker. It was still within the warranty period, and I had heard all the stories about folks having trouble getting warranty work done on lifted jeeps. I did some research and heard about a service writer at Escondido Jeep who didn't automaticaly deny warraty service just because you brought in a lifted jeep. I gave him a call and explained my situation, he told me as long as the parts that were broken were factory parts they would honor the warranty. I had it towed down there and they fixed it under warranty.

His Name is Hutch, and he works at Escondido Jeep.
                    He is also a fellow wheeler, and owns a few lifted jeeps of his own.
                    2006 Rubicon Unlimited
                    Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rock

Comment

it's all in the presentation of the explanation on what you were doing whatever it is that broke...
                      telling the guy you were just backing out of the driveway isn't going to cut it...
                      be honest and they will be honest with you...
                      in the old days, they (AMC) would split the labor and/or parts cost with you.
                      I always fixed it for no cost if I thought that the customer was honest and deserved it.
                      if he got some air and or swamped the Jeep in water, too bad.

Comment

I agree. Be honest. State the facts and why they should cover it, and your side of it. Go from there.

Comment

All Great info, Thanks everyone!!!!! So how about if I install an SYE with my lift?? What do you think? Jason

Comment

Working...
                          X