Clear All

i just put a rebuilt engine in my YJ for 1200 plus my labor
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
      i just put a rebuilt engine in my YJ for 1200 plus my labor
      I PM'd you with some questions.

Comment

Ok. Head is off and #3 isn't bad! The shop I paid $80 mis-diagnoised it. Bummer. Well, It's off, it had a leak in the head gasket (didn't over heat while I owned it). That will get fixed. That explains the coolant loss. I will report back what the machine shop finds and the shop doing the labor finds after its all done.

Comment

Make sure you check the head for cracks also. I did a comprssion check on mine because it had a slight miss in the #1 cylinder. It was definatly lower than the rest but I put some oil in the cylinder and it went way higher then the rest telling me it needs rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            Make sure you check the head for cracks also. I did a comprssion check on mine because it had a slight miss in the #1 cylinder. It was definatly lower than the rest but I put some oil in the cylinder and it went way higher then the rest telling me it needs rings.
            The machine shop said it was fine. He said they us a magnet to test it? Said it was fine. It never over heated on me. Only used coolant which explains with the head gasket. My motor is in their hands. I hope their good! lol.

Comment

Who is doing the work?
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                The machine shop said it was fine. He said they us a magnet to test it? Said it was fine. It never over heated on me. Only used coolant which explains with the head gasket. My motor is in their hands. I hope their good! lol.
                Thought you set it up with my buddy to take it over there to get the work done?
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

If the original shop had done a proper leak test it would have been obvious what was wrong. Still 80 bucks is not enough for a shop to do a leak down test.
                  Seems to me they just did a compression test.
                  The machine shop magna fluxed the cyl head which is good practise, now your next prayer is to hope that the catalityc converter survived

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                    Thought you set it up with my buddy to take it over there to get the work done?
                    I called him and told him I wasn't going to come. We talked about it and he said if I could do just the top end it would be cheaper. He said he didn't know how to do it and was trying to find someone who did and couldn't.
                    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-22-09, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      If the original shop had done a proper leak test it would have been obvious what was wrong. Still 80 bucks is not enough for a shop to do a leak down test.
                      Seems to me they just did a compression test.
                      The machine shop magna fluxed the cyl head which is good practise, now your next prayer is to hope that the catalityc converter survived
                      My hunch says it didn't and that's next on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Who is doing the work?
                        Machine shop is on palmdale in victorville and labor is shop in oak hills.

Comment

Time for an update. I took it to American Auto Shop on Palmdale in Victorville. Left and took head with me as they didn't know what they were doing (two day delay). Then took it to Napa. It was there a week I think. Now shop in Oak Hills has it and by the conversation I think I will get it back next week. Timing chain was replaced (one week later), by shop but still needs to be put back together (IE; radiator, hoses, belts, etc). After the timing chain is completed, oil change, coolant change, plugs, head put back on, etc still has to be done. So, two weeks to do a valve job!...Little pissed. Vacation is around the corner and we missed two trail runs! Arggg!

Rant over!
                          Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-28-09, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X