Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator flush

I need to flush and change my coolant. Anybody has a write up on this! Thanks. Need some procedure pointers.

Good time to change the thermostat plus by removing it you'll get the block empty. I just did all this when I replaced the rad, not a big job, check your hoses... while your there. Once you get the thermo off you can run the hose through the upper hose to flush the block, pressure not needed, just let it run through. Be sure to use distilled water 50/50 to 70/30 coolant/water.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
      Good time to change the thermostat plus by removing it you'll get the block empty. I just did all this when I replaced the rad, not a big job, check your hoses... while your there. Once you get the thermo off you can run the hose through the upper hose to flush the block, pressure not needed, just let it run through. Be sure to use distilled water 50/50 to 70/30 coolant/water.

B&T TJ
      Thanks, got it done!

Comment

Most coolant is POISON! Don't leave it were pets are etc. The sweet smell will "draw" them to it and there is NO treatment after they drink it.
        DON'T put it down the drain either. It's HAZ-MAT.
        Respectfully,
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I will be doing this first thing in the morning!
          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I know its sweet, blended me a margarita and it was sooooo good! I'm still here, must not be the poisonous kind. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
              Most coolant is POISON! Don't leave it were pets are etc. The sweet smell will "draw" them to it and there is NO treatment after they drink it.
              DON'T put it down the drain either. It's HAZ-MAT.
              Respectfully,
              LG
              So what are you supposed to do with it? nobody will accept it, like they will with used oil.
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

There are hazmat facilities that you can drop it off at for no charge.

Heres the one in SD:

http://www.sandiego.gov/environmenta...azardous.shtml
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Done!

Changed mine out today, and, not without the usual screw up on my part! :bonk: I had everything I needed to flush and replace the fluid, radiator cap and thermostat. So first thing this morning I went at it! Got everything apart, flushed the system started on the re-assembly. When I got to the therm and started putting the housing back together. And, just like I've done the last 20 times I've done this!!, I got my trusty Jeep repair for dummy's book out and checked the torque spec's for the Therm housing bolts which is 13 ftps. Grabbed my torque wrench and dialed it in. I hand tightend both bolts down fist and as I was torqueing up the bottom bolt (CRACK!!!):angry: There went the housing! Snapped the bottom portion of it right in half! (STUPID POT METAL PIECE O':poop::poop:!)

Several Explitives Later :shout: :censor: :omg: :censor:, there I was, broken Jeep in the driveway and no one at home that could give me a ride to the parts store! :sad: So, I called my next door neighbor and askked for a ride to the parts store. He was nice enough to let me take his truck for the trip to the two different auto parts stores trying to find the part. I got lucky and Autozone had 1 left in stock and 17.99 later I was back in business!

I was using a click type torque wrench that went down to 10 ftps but I guess it's off. So, my neighbor let me borrow his digital micro torque wrench(Which is very sweet!) and I got it back together without any other problems. She's runnin nice and cool now! But man!, I felt like a bone head! :bonk:
                  Last edited by avjeepfreek; 05-20-09, 08:08 PM.
                  "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                    Changed mine out today, and, not without the usual screw up on my part! :bonk: I had everything I needed to flush and replace the fluid, radiator cap and thermostat. So first thing this morning I went at it! Got everything apart, flushed the system started on the re-assembly. When I got to the therm and started putting the housing back together. And, just like I've done the last 20 times I've done this!!, I got my trusty Jeep repair for dummy's book out and checked the torque spec's for the Therm housing bolts which is 13 ftps. Grabbed my torque wrench and dialed it in. I hand tightend both bolts down fist and as I was torqueing up the bottom bolt (CRACK!!!):angry: There went the housing! Snapped the bottom portion of it right in half! (STUPID POT METAL PIECE O':poop::poop:!)

Several Explitives Later :shout: :censor: :omg: :censor:, there I was, broken Jeep in the driveway and no one at home that could give me a ride to the parts store! :sad: So, I called my next door neighbor and askked for a ride to the parts store. He was nice enough to let me take his truck for the trip to the two different auto parts stores trying to find the part. I got lucky and Autozone had 1 left in stock and 17.99 later I was back in business!

I was using a click type torque wrench that went down to 10 ftps but I guess it's off. So, my neighbor let me borrow his digital micro torque wrench(Which is very sweet!) and I got it back together without any other problems. She's runnin nice and cool now! But man!, I felt like a bone head! :bonk:
                    <----laughing. Scott has my luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                      <----laughing. Scott has my luck!
                      And your Jeep!

I just flushed my coolent when I put my new radiatior in a few weeks ago. I like doing this kind of stuff on the weekends when I have time to be picky. I cleaned and painted my thermostat housing and bolts just for fun.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post

Sometimes this happens because the thermostat was not seated inside the housing. There is a recessed area in the housing that accepts the thickness of the thermostat. If this is not lined up and you torque the housing it will crack.
                        Sometime the best way to learn is to screw up. I have done both.

Comment

Working...
                        X