Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Steering issues AFTER body lift

Just got my tank back in, fired her up, and bang bang bang, every time I turn the wheel. Something is binding (I believe) on the steering shaft.

I did a 1" body lift. Is there something I missed doing that may be causing this? The u-joints in the steering shaft do not seem to be binding. My opinion is that the "popping" is coming from where the shaft meets steering box.

My Jeep has tendencies to play games with me...like rear driveshaft u-joints going bad after I raise my transfer skid...so I lowered it, thinking that was the cause of the vibes...only to STILL have vibes, due to u-joints.

With its history, I'm wondering if something might be going in the box. About a month before Calico, my steering starting "humming" kind of loud until warmed up. I have started to get "moisture" at the input shaft seal (replaced it about 2 years ago).

When driving it down the street, the steering feels stiff over-all. About 5 minutes of working steering, and still having the binding. One or two times I can recall, I had the steering bind and pop BEFORE the body lift.

Help, suggestions? Thanks

Maybe I should add vehicle specs! Stock power steering for an 83 CJ7.

My m.o.r.e body lift came with a steering shaft block as pictured. I put it in and have no issues. It was a 1 inch block so you can probably make one, nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
      My m.o.r.e body lift came with a steering shaft block as pictured. I put it in and have no issues. It was a 1 inch block so you can probably make one, nothing special.

Thanks...what exactly does this steering shaft block do? Where does it bolt to, etc? Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I read M.O.R.E.'s instructions for their body lift for a CJ7. It tells two methods to extend the steering shaft.

Thanks for the insight!

Comment

That's interesting. I didn't have to do anything to my steering when I intalled my 1" body lift. How old is your steering box? Did you try rotating the box without the shaft to see if it's binding in the box?
          Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
            That's interesting. I didn't have to do anything to my steering when I intalled my 1" body lift. How old is your steering box? Did you try rotating the box without the shaft to see if it's binding in the box?
            I didn't pull the steering shaft. I'm gonna try moving my steering shaft (loosen 4 bolts and push) first. If that doesn't do it, I'll pull my box. I guess that'll be the time to upgrade!

Comment

On mine I can disconnect the shaft at the steering box without removing the box. I have to remove my bumper to remove the steering box. Pain in the @$$. If you can do that without removing the steering box you can check the box and the column separately. Remember there are bearings in the column. That could be a problem as well.
              Check out .

Comment

You might want to consider replacing the old with a new one like these:

http://www.borgeson.com/PRODUCTS%20H...UCTS-HOME.html
                Rich

Comment

To bring this up again. Problem is solved.

I loosened the two bolts on the steering, just behind the dash. I loosened the two bolts as the steering shaft goes through the firewall (on the inside). I yanked on the shaft for a while (steering shaft!!!) It now turns full side to side, no binding. I do however, feel a tiny "click" at a regular interval while turning. Good enough to wheel...and I save up for an upgrade!

Comment

Working...
                  X