Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about motor

I took the Jeep down the hill yesterday. My wife followed me. At one point, she text me (I couldn't hear the phone all the windows were off) saying speed up or get our of the fast lane..lol! I text her back and said I was doing 75mph. But, ok. She said I was doing 70 +/-. So, I guess those small tires previous owner put on made the speedo off. He had on there 275/60/15.

Next thing I noticed was the power or lack of at times. Is 5th gear just a o/d? Meaning, powerless in 5th. If I had to pass, I would have to down shift into 4th. It would then scoot and I could pass no issues. Average speed (after I knew speedo was off..lol) was 75+mph. Normal to down shift at that speed for a passing gear? I have a 5.3l Avalanche, chipped, intake, and exhaust w/auto. Previously I had a f250 crew cab, diesel, 4x4, and chipped w/auto. So, is it possible I am just not used to the Jeep 4.0l? Or, is the motor tired and a valave job is next in order to pep it up? Oh, around town here, she has plenty get up and go.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-14-09, 09:53 AM.

We need more info. Tire size, gears, what motor? In general, yes, 5th is overdrive only. Something like .72:1

If you have stock gears and anything even close to oversize tires, 5th gear becomes useless.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
      We need more info. Tire size, gears, what motor? In general, yes, 5th is overdrive only. Something like .72:1

If you have stock gears and anything even close to oversize tires, 5th gear becomes useless.
      Current tires are 275/60/15.

33" go on today.

It's a 4.0l.

Comment

Don’t worry that’s normal. Do you have the 4L inline six or the 2.5 4cyl? And what gears do you have. The two things that affect your speedo reading are you tires and your diff gears. And there is only one way to change it. On the side of your transfer case there is a speed sensor that has a replaceable gear in it. You can change this gear with another one with more or less teeth to correct your speedometer. Here is a link to more information than you need to fix your problem. The site gives part numbers for the different gears. I looked some months ago because my speedo reads 90 when I am going 75. Our Jeeps (91-93 wranglers) use the long shaft which is about 4 inches and everything newer uses the short shaft, about 2 1/2 inches. I found some short shafts for about $20 and some long shafts for about $80. You probably have the 3:07 gears so you will need a 25 tooth gear. I think some 93s came with the short shaft and some with the long. You might call Jeep parts Dept. with your vin to find out before you spend the extra money.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

ha ha I type slow....
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

4.0l
            Stock gears (3:07 I think)
            I'll wait today to see if some of it is corrected after larger tires go on.
            Thanks for the link. I might use it if it isn't corrected after today.

Comment

It wont be corrected. It will be worse.. happy to be proven wrong though. :bonk:
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                It wont be corrected. It will be worse.. happy to be proven wrong though. :bonk:

I thought smaller tires makes it show faster (spins faster) and taller tires shows less (spins slower)?

Well find out today

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                  I thought smaller tires makes it show faster (spins faster) and taller tires shows less (spins slower)?

Well find out today
                  Yes. I put 33s on in place of my 29s, and my speedo only shows about 65 when my GPS says 75 (roughly).

I think Scott means your use of 5th will get worse with 33s. I have 3.07 and 33s and I only use 5th downhill or behind a big-rig on flat ground. It sucks offroad too because even in 4L I am slipping the clutch in first to go slow enough for tough obstacles. I smell clutch *a lot* in larger rock gardens. I have probably halfed the life of my fairly new clutch by being poorly geared.
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Oh wow! Ok. I'll look into re-gearing soon then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                      Oh wow! Ok. I'll look into re-gearing soon then.
                      It's pricey, which is why I STILLLLLL have 3.07s after almost 2 years. I daily drive my TJ, but it's all surface streets to and from work. If you're on a budget (like I am), wait around long enough and axles will pop up for sale that are geared, locked, etc. sometimes at great prices. I just picked up a D30 with 4.56 and an ARB for my front, just waiting for a few more pennies to figure out the rear.
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

How much for the axles?

Local shop wants $650 to re-gear.

My friend has had his 35" on stock axles for 2yrs as well So, it must not be all that bad? Well find out today. It should be done.
                        Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-15-09, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I've got 3:07's with 32's. It's a bit of a dog in 5th.
                          My speedo is off by 6MPH.
                          I find myself in 4 LO when other Jeeps are still in 4HI just so I can creep along easier.
                          It's not really a problem though. I still have a great time.

Scott

Comment

Sounds good. I will save and get them. 4:10, 4:56?

Comment

Ive got 4:10s and 33s. You are welcome to drive my Jeep for the feel.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X