Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear u-bolt for car seat (pictures)

I added a rear hing for the car seat. The new car seats have a top strap (belt) now. Most new cars/trucks have this (our does) but the Jeep didn't. I took it to the local muffler guy (J&E Muffler) he charged me $10 (owner wasn't there. He usually does that stuff for me for free) and the u-bolt I got at Kragen for $5

Enjoy!

Ron

wait a minute.... is this holding in a child safety seat?
    if it is.... i think you are making a mistake with the way you have this put together.

edit* um... yeah...
    this is a bad way to mount a car-seat. you need to redo it in a way suitable for withstanding some pretty incredible forces, and you are using the wrong parts in the wrong places.

is that u-bolt just mounted to the tub, or what exactly is it attached to?
    Last edited by NAILER341; 05-12-09, 06:43 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I did it right That is ONLY for the top of the car seat. The Jeep seat belt bolds the rest It is designed to go behind the car seat and attached to something. If I am missing something, do tell.

Comment

the u bolt in the floor is what worries me.
        ERIK

Comment

I was going to put it on the rear tail gate (door). But thought that was better.

Comment

I think what Erik is getting is that if you have that ubolt just attached to the tub (or the tail gate for that matter) the material is far to thin to with stand any substantial force, especially those cause by a car accident.

If its built with a more substantial mounting system, please let us know and if not, i would rethink the design to employ a "beefier" mounting system attached to the frame or something else of greater strength.
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
              I think what Erik is getting is that if you have that ubolt just attached to the tub (or the tail gate for that matter) the material is far to thin to with stand any substantial force, especially those cause by a car accident.

If its built with a more substantial mounting system, please let us know and if not, i would rethink the design to employ a "beefier" mounting system attached to the frame or something else of greater strength.

I can show you the one from the Dodge. Much thinner! The one on the Dodge is also screwed on there. This one is also welded on there. Oh, and any thicker and it will not attach either. Not sure of the work around that then? Let me add, this isn't a daily driver. Rarely used on the streets. 99% of the reason to do it was for the trails.
              Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-12-09, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah, if you dont mind, i would like to see more pics of your mount as opposed to the Dodge's.

Make sure your looking "under" the floor panel of the Dodge's as well. I have a hard time believing that the mount is only screwed down to sheet metal.
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

It's attached to the frame in the trunk.

Can you give me another idea? As stated, any thicker and it wouldn't go over it. What is the work around?

Maybe post the one from your car so I can compare a different auto maker?

Comment

haha I drive a 1990 Cherokee, if your 93 doesnt have it, mine doesnt either lol

For a mount, id probably span a piece of .120+ box tube welded between the frame rails and use a mount (probably 1/4") that welded "through" the box tube on either side. Then mount the belt to that much like a 5 point harness does.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                      haha I drive a 1990 Cherokee, if your 93 doesnt have it, mine doesnt either lol

For a mount, id probably span a piece of .120+ box tube welded between the frame rails and use a mount (probably 1/4") that welded "through" the box tube on either side. Then mount the belt to that much like a 5 point harness does.

GOOD IDEA! There is another attachment we can add, I might do that when I add those

I did take the pictures. Once wife comes in here with the cable I will attach them. With her laughing at what I am doing, it might take a little longer. But....It is thinner!

Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-12-09, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I think the u-bolt attachment is fine...what worries me is the way the belt is tied in a knot. I would suggest getting one of these 3-bar attachment slides for the belt. They are on all 5 point harnesses and would make the tension belt more safe:

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                          GOOD IDEA! There is another attachment we can add, I might do that when I add those

I did take the pictures. Once wife comes in here with the cable I will attach them. With her laughing at what I am doing, it might take a little longer. But....It is thinner!

all of those contours and dimples change the performance of that sheet metal. i can assure you the OEM one is much stronger than what you have done with welding the u bolt to the sheet metal.

that u bolt is doing a lot more work than you might think in an accident.
                          ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
                            I think the u-bolt attachment is fine...what worries me is the way the belt is tied in a knot. I would suggest getting one of these 3-bar attachment slides for the belt. They are on all 5 point harnesses and would make the tension belt more safe:

nice strap and slide, but that weld is scary looking. i hope the rest of them are prettier than that one
                            ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post

It's not required to tie it in a knot. I just do that. Not sure if I can remove that belt and replace it?

Comment

Working...
                              X