Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Aussie Lockers?

I was looking at the prices of lockers and the Aussie locker was the most inexpensive one I came across.

Over the years, I've learned that inexpensive can cost a lot more than spending the money on something better to begin with. But...that's not alway the case and some things are just an exceptional value.

Many people have told me that the Detroit Soft Lockers are bulletproof and I was considering those and putting up with any quirks when driving them on the road.

So, the question is about the quality, reliability and strength of the Aussie Lockers.

I'm planning on putting a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift with a 1" body lift and 35" MTRs on the Scrambler. I've got an Dana 30 in the front and an AMC 20 in the rear running 4.10 gears. I'm thinking of sticking with the axels that I've got for a while and may just beef them up a bit.

None of this will happen overnight, but I'm trying to do my homework.

Have any of you run Aussie Lockers and what are your impressions?

Thanks.

Christian
    Last edited by headhunter; 05-05-09, 01:21 PM.
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

The aussie is the only option for the rear of many ZJs & WJs. I have never heard of a single failure on the grand forums. I've had mine for a couple of years with zero issues.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I ran Aussie in my Dana 30 for a long time with no problems. I really liked it and would highly recommend it. The only reason I don't have it now is I wanted a selectable locker to turn off and on. Makes it easier to turn in tight spots.

I'm planning on putting a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift with a 1" body lift and 35"
      Trust me when I say this. If you go this route I would recommend wheel spacers at least.

edit.
      and some extra windshield frames.
      Check out .

Comment

i had one in my xj and it did the job, but i am with chuck and went with selectable for the new axles, its a great inexpensive easy to install locker, and do get the spacers.......LOL

Comment

i got them in the front and rear axle in my XJ.. So far no issues.. and they work very very well.. Ill prob upgrade to selectable.. but for the price its worth it.. even if I throw them in the trash in a year
          [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
          PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

I have aussies front and rear in my Cherokee. Ive had the front for a little over a year with not one single problem. Ive just installed one in the rear of my 8.25 and have one trip on it but I love it. They are cheap and not the best option but you cannot beat the price.

Comment

I personally have a lockrite in the front of my ZJ. I did break one in half a few years back but since it was under warranty...it didn't cost me anything but time to get replaced. Most all the guys I run with are running aussie's and none of them have ever had issues with them. Let me know if I can help with either.
              [COLOR=red]www.MoonWorksOffRoad.com[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=red]www.myspace.com/moonworksoffroad[/COLOR]

Comment

I have heard only good stuff about the Aussie's. Check your rear diff code, because you can ONLY put an Aussie in an open diff. My amc 20 had the stock limited slip (didn't work at all though), and could not use an Aussie, so I went selectable (OX).

Comment

I ran Aussies front and rear and beat the H.E. Double Hockey Sticks out them, then, like the good freind that I am, gave the poor, beat up front one to Mike (the artisit formerly known as Malachi) and he is still beating the sticks out of it in his Jeep. Tough little bastads fer sher
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

another avenue you might think about is the Richmond Lockright lockers. I have had mine in my XJ for a couple of yrs and no failure. I believe my 76 full size cherokee has Lockright lockers in it as well. I was told they give 100% lock up when needed, not sure about the Aussie.
                    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

The Aussie is pretty much just a clone of the Lockright. Either behaves about the same and while either is fine up front when in 2wd on the street, both are not all that well behaved when installed into the rear axle. If I was to want a lunchbox locker for the rear, I'd only (!) go with the Powertrax No-Slip (owned by Eaton). The No-Slip is MUCH better behaved in the rear than either of those other two are.

And so far as your rear AMC 20 goes, I'd only install a locker after replacing its 2-piece axleshafts with the upgraded 1-piece that are much stronger. The 2-piece axleshafts are the AMC 20's Achilles Heel once bigger tires and a locker is installed.
                      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I have heard of few failure with the lockright an havent heard of any with the aussie. I have also heard the aussie is made of better stronger steel also.

Comment

I want to thank you all for your input.

I have to decide how long I'll keep my current axels and that will play a part in my decision for the short run.

Something was brought up to me on another forum and I thought I'd share it. I've been told that having a selectable locker and spending lots of time driving with it unlocked will increase your off road driving skill. As I understand it one of the benefits is that you will develop a better sense of picking the best line. Anyway, I thought that was an interesting notion and wanted to share it. I've heard the same thing about leaving it in 2-wheel drive.

You guys definitely rock!

Christian
                          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                          X