Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker question

Well it finally happened a couple of weeks ago, my rear locker finally let go. I could get the warranty but I really don’t want the same problem again. After you put on 35" tires on, things started breaking. I've already up graded the axles to Superior so now I need a good locker, anyone had good results with anything except the ARB, they have too may air leak problems. Any luck with E lockers, either the Auburn or the Eaton Elocker. Any info would be great. I really don’t want to go to D60.
    Snoopy

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Well it finally happened a couple of weeks ago, my rear locker finally let go. I could get the warranty but I really don’t want the same problem again. After you put on 35" tires on, things started breaking. I've already up graded the axles to Superior so now I need a good locker, anyone had good results with anything except the ARB, they have too may air leak problems. Any luck with E lockers, either the Auburn or the Eaton Elocker. Any info would be great. I really don’t want to go to D60.
    Snoopy
    sup bud. I too was in your situation. I broke both my front and rear locker within a month. I got 35 mtrs, chromo shafts. I wheeled like a crazy man.

When I broke the last time I said screw it and bought some 1 tons. I am putting them in right now. Along with the 40s we picked up last night.

I just got tired of the breaking shit.

Anyways 4x4groupbuy.com has some awesome deals on lockers. He had a deal when you buy a locker he would throw in a compressor. dunno what he has now. I think his name is Jason.

northridge4x4.com has some good deals as well.

Rubicons are great in their stock form.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Snoopy
      I personally like ARBs and the leak problems are overstated, in my opinion. I have had the rear ARB in my Dana 20 since 1995 and it has literally been everywhere. I have broken the front Dana 30, but that was a ring and pinion issue, not ARB. The leak issues are easy to identify and fix. Especially nice if it is your daily driver and is great for front digs, etc when off road. My rear is full float Warn. The front has Warn axles and CTMs, so both are pretty bullet-proof.

That said, my FToy has Detroits and they have been trouble-free for over three years of really hard core stuff. Of course that is on an off-road rig only.
      Rich

Comment

I run with Ox locker in the front and a Detroit in the rear with 35's and wheel it hard and have never had an issue with either. Like the ARB the OX had a bad rep for broken cables, haven't seen any of that. In fact I am looking at changing the Detroit to an Ox in the future.

Comment

Full Detroit, ARB, or OX are the only things id run in the rear.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I have an auburn ected locker in the rear of mine and havent had any problems. Some people I know that have arb locker have had air leak problems like you have said and that why I didnt want an air locker either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              I have an auburn ected locker in the rear of mine and havent had any problems. Some people I know that have arb locker have had air leak problems like you have said and that why I didnt want an air locker either.
              That particular unit isn't really a true solid locker, it has a clutch pack that when locked will slip when under enough load.

And as alredy said above, the ever present arguments against ARB Air Lockers from non-ARB users because they can leak are bogus. I don't even run ARB Air Lockers but they hold up to the toughest wheeling conditions around as evidenced by too many friends that run them on about the most extreme trails around. Any air leaks will be caused by the installer who was either in a rush or didn't have the skills to install it properly.
              Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 05-06-09, 06:26 PM.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I would add an additional recommendation that you have your ring and pinion's cryo'd while everything is apart. You can sent to Bobby Long and his price and turnaround are great. I believe that is one of the reasons I have been able to have my Toyota 8 inchers survive with 39.5 IROKs.

Here is his site:
                http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/
                Rich

Comment

Working...
                X