Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Problem with new lift

Had a problem come up today with a new ProComp 2" lift.My Buddy ,Skip,has a 06 TJ with a 4.0,6 sp trans,D30,D44 Rr,31x10.5x15 (Wants to go 33s")tires.Its his DD so no hard off roading just trailes for now. We put the lift and shocks on and tested.Had a vibration at 45-55 mph,so we dropped the pan 1".Vibration gone but now it goes into a death wobble at 45 mph.Can anyone give us an idea what we did wrong?
    Thanks
    Dennis
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Check the bushings on the track bar.

Comment

If the track bar is 100%, check the tires.

Are they new tires? Have them re-balanced!!!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by juz_bryan View Post
        Check the bushings on the track bar.
        Thanks,Added to list,how long do those OEM bushings last? We also rotated tires incase he lost a weight or something.
        Dennis
        Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          If the track bar is 100%, check the tires.

Are they new tires? Have them re-balanced!!!
          No these tires are at the end of life but it was fine till we lifted and dropped the pan.We did a little off road trail here for a test and then went to store,thats was when it hit at 45-50 mph.
          Dennis and Tammy

Comment

did you have front end aligned after lift? even after a small lift on a tj it has to be, because of the steering system's design.

Comment

Originally posted by randysjeep View Post
              did you have front end aligned after lift? even after a small lift on a tj it has to be, because of the steering system's design.
              No alignment,but looks to be next after checking all steering and susp.parts for loose bolts.
              Thanks
              Dennis
              Dennis and Tammy

Comment

hmm thats strange, i just did my 2 inch lift on sunday..coil spacer and a rear track bar relocator bracket, shocks and a stabalizer...nothing to crazy and i had none of those problems (so far knock on wood) i didnt even have to drop my belly at all...i planned on getting an alignment done though just to be sure. none of that really helps you...sorry

Comment

If everything checks out mechanically it will either be tire balance or to much caster. Lifted TJ's are a ;ot more prone to bad speed wobble/ shimmy than the stock setup. So what worked stock doesn't necesarily work lifted. It's a very common problem on lifted TJ's and takes a bit of work to fix.
                  Steering and suspension components first then alignment, then tire balance. Somewhere along there it will go away

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                    hmm thats strange, i just did my 2 inch lift on sunday..coil spacer and a rear track bar relocator bracket, shocks and a stabalizer...nothing to crazy and i had none of those problems (so far knock on wood) i didnt even have to drop my belly at all...i planned on getting an alignment done though just to be sure. none of that really helps you...sorry
                    We First put this on about 9mo.back and he had the vibration prob.From what I've learned 1 out a 5 get it with this low of a lift and he got it(told him it was made on a Fri.)He didn't have any other problem till we put it back on and lowered the pan.
                    Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      If everything checks out mechanically it will either be tire balance or to much caster. Lifted TJ's are a ;ot more prone to bad speed wobble/ shimmy than the stock setup. So what worked stock doesn't necesarily work lifted. It's a very common problem on lifted TJ's and takes a bit of work to fix.
                      Steering and suspension components first then alignment, then tire balance. Somewhere along there it will go away
                      I'm trying to talk him into checking out track bar options maybe new bushings,and getting an allingnment.His tires are shot out,thats why the lift ,he wants to go 33"s.Been passing on everyones comments so Thanks for the help.
                      Dennis
                      Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Well if he needs trackbars I got the front and rear trackbars that came of my jeep after about 3000 miles since new. He is welcome to those 40 bucks for the pair if that is what it needs

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          Well if he needs trackbars I got the front and rear trackbars that came of my jeep after about 3000 miles since new. He is welcome to those 40 bucks for the pair if that is what it needs
                          Thanks Art I'll let him know.
                          Dennis
                          Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Working...
                          X