Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: CB antenna mounting on a Scrambler

I tried posting this in the Consumer Electronics forum, but didn't have permissions to do so.

To join your posted runs, I need to get a CB. They are pretty inexpensive these days, so it's time to get with the program and buy one.

From the "Rockin Links" page, I went to http://www.rightchannelradios.com/je...-cb-radio-106/ to see about buying a CB.

I can't figure out which mounting system would work best on my Scrambler.

I'm open to suggestions and recommendations on both the antenna mounting location and which CB/Antenna combo works best for what we're doing.

If you know of a place near Pasadena where I can see and touch this stuff before I buy it, let me know.

From what I've read, the antenna and how it's mounted is the most important part.

Thanks in advance.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

first off, don't let a lack of CB keep you from running the trails with any of us, come on out and play!

second, the best CB shops I have seen are the truck stop CB shops, and they will hook you up like a tow truck with whatever yer rig needs to brodcast & recieve.

that bein' said, most cheap cb's will work for the trails we run, most jeeps don't get too far away from each other, so a basic model cobra and a firestick will do the job.

of course, my opinions are not gospel, :dunno: just my :2:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
      first off, don't let a lack of CB keep you from running the trails with any of us, come on out and play!

second, the best CB shops I have seen are the truck stop CB shops, and they will hook you up like a tow truck with whatever yer rig needs to brodcast & recieve.

that bein' said, most cheap cb's will work for the trails we run, most jeeps don't get too far away from each other, so a basic model cobra and a firestick will do the job.

of course, my opinions are not gospel, :dunno: just my :2:
      I just want to be respectful of MJR's rules for attending group trail rides. That and it just makes sense that I get one.

I wonder what the closest truck stop is from the Pasadena Area. I like to see stuff that I'm thinking of buying at least once before I get it.

I may just order the inexpensive setup on the Internet and see if the "Wrangler" mount works on my CJ. It looks pretty basic and if I decide to do something else later, it's not like I'm losing much money on the deal.

Thanks Kodiak Spirit!

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

FYI, I have been putting off installing a CB in my rig because I want to do it right the first time. Till I have the $$$ and the time I have been using a cheepo' hand-held CB that I got at a truck stop for $60. I will keep it in my rig even when I install my CB because regularly I am on runs with someone who either does not have a CB, or the one they do have is not working. We just make sure the people without CBs are in the middle so they dont get stuck and left behind.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I have the drivers side mount that goes behind the tail light. I'll take what ever you want to give me for it. Still in very good condition.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...&partID=41223#

The mount works great. Went with LED's, so no more tail light to mount it behind!

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
            I have the drivers side mount that goes behind the tail light. I'll take what ever you want to give me for it. Still in very good condition.

The mount works great. Went with LED's, so no more tail light to mount it behind!
            Cool! PM sent.

Christian

Comment

I decided to go the most inexpensive route now and then change any of the components that I may be in anyway unhappy with later, but I think that this will get the job done.

I picked up a new Vanco antenna and a slightly used driver's side tail light mount from SAR Jeeper. Then I went to Fry's Electronics (after a wasted side trip to the 4 Wheel Parts Spring Cleaning Swapmeet) and got a Uniden 520XL, the coax, the SWR meter and some coax cable clips that I'm going to try to modify for cleaner looking cable management. Total cost was less than $90 including tax.

I'll install it tomorrow and be one step further down the road with my plans.

Christian

Comment

I need advice...

Well I got everything installed today and am happy with the way everything fit. I really like the tail light mount.

I had to move some stuff around under the dash and after a few trips to the auto parts store and Radio Shack, I was able to get all of the components in place.

When it came time to hooking up the SWR meter and testing things, I wound up with a challenge.

I re-calibrated the SWR meter for each channel and these are the numbers I'm getting.

I'm reading just over a "2" on Ch. 20 and I'm reading just over a "1" on Ch. 40, but I'm reading just over a "3" on Channels 1 - 10. I understand this puts me in the category of doing damage to the tranceiver on these lower channels.

The Vanco antenna I've got can't be adjusted, as far as I can tell. I removed the little rubber tip on the end and there is nothing to adjust. It just covers the tip.

Is there a way to adjust this or do I need to get another antenna?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Christian

Comment

Strange...seems strange to have a rubber boot on the end of an antenna, but no means of adjusting it.

Comment

It's an old school method...

I just spoke with Vanco and they confirmed some info that I got from someone on socalscramblers.com about trimming the wire in 1/8" increments. You just take off the rubber tip and then start peeling back the sheath that covers the wire on the fiberglass stick. As you expose the wire you just cut and test until you get the right reading. If it's not too late, I'll try that after I get off work today.

The funny thing is that the Customer Service Rep was simply reading from a knowledge base and when I asked about how much Vanco recommended that I cut off at a time, the rep said that it didn't say, but that maybe an inch at a time might be good! The little rubber cap is only about an inch a half long! :shock:

It will be interesting to see how much I actually cut off, but I'll be doing it at about an 1/8" at a time.

Hopefully this will help someone else that runs into this.

Thanks.

Christian

Comment

If your SWR is worse on the lower CB channels, the antenna needs to be longer - not shorter!
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                        If your SWR is worse on the lower CB channels, the antenna needs to be longer - not shorter!
                        I was wondering about that and hoping that I was on the right side of this issue. It's a 4' antenna, so what do I do?

Would grounding on the antenna mount have anything to do with this? I'm not sure how well grounded this setup is.

Thanks.

Christian
                        Last edited by headhunter; 04-27-09, 02:08 PM.

Comment

The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna (chant that 50 or 60 times)

Good grounding is always a high priority - how is it mounted/grounded now?
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY
                          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                            The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna (chant that 50 or 60 times)

Good grounding is always a high priority - how is it mounted/grounded now?
                            Yep! I even confirmed it on the Internet!

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...eading/swr.htm

I guess I won't be doing any peeling and snipping!

I'm running this mount, which I got from fellow MJR member SAR Jeeper:

I need to check the ground. I mounted everything, but didn't use any extra ground wires.

What's the best way to check how well grounded everything is?

Could I run a ground straight from where the antenna screws on to the mount to the body or inside the tail light?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Christian

Comment

Are you using an 18' coax? That is the perfect length to run in a vehicle. If it's a different length, do yourself a favor and go buy an 18' coax. That could make a big difference. If you already have an 18' coax, then you have two choices: Run it and don't worry about it or get an adjustable antenna. I'm using a Wilson 4' flex whip that's adjustable and works good.

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1003758.aspx
                              WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X