Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Wheelbase vs Long Wheelbase

I see references to short wheelbase and long wheelbase, but I can't find anything in my searches defining how many inches it takes to cross the line.

Many trail descriptions talk about needing a vehicle with a short wheelbase and that vehicles with a long wheelbase may have trouble.

The Scrambler is apparently still considered a short wheelbase (104") according to the things that I've read out there, but they are obviously quite a bit longer than than that of a CJ-7 or CJ-5.

Are there any Jeep models that are referred to as having a long wheelbase?

Where is the line that divides a short wheelbase from a long wheelbase?

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

I would say the you have a long wheel base. Short wheel base would be the early Jeeps through the two door Jeeps to about 94 inches, like TJs. Folk like to stretch the TJs to around 100 inches to achieve the long wheel base desirable for better climbing/descending of steep obstacles.
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
      I would say the you have a long wheel base. Short wheel base would be the early Jeeps through the two door Jeeps to about 94 inches, like TJs. Folk like to stretch the TJs to around 100 inches to achieve the long wheel base desirable for better climbing/descending of steep obstacles.
      That's what I thought. I originally figured that the line was at about 100 inches.

When trying to figure out where the line was I found other brands of trucks/SUVs that had longer wheelbases and were referred to as short wheelbase vehicles.

I just found a reference to Baja 1000 Class 3 (Short Wheelbased 4X4) being up to a maximum wheelbase of 108 inches.

So, I'm not sure.

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
        That's what I thought. I originally figured that the line was at about 100 inches.

When trying to figure out where the line was I found other brands of trucks/SUVs that had longer wheelbases and were referred to as short wheelbase vehicles.

I just found a reference to Baja 1000 Class 3 (Short Wheelbased 4X4) being up to a maximum wheelbase of 108 inches.

So, I'm not sure.

Christian
        I would bet the things you're finding from "other brands" that are listed as "short wheel base" that were over the 100 inch mark are also considered "full width" vehicles.

That being said, I have no clue the answer to your question, or what the width to length ratio is to determine short/long wheelbase.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          That being said, I have no clue the answer to your question, or what the width to length ratio is to determine short/long wheelbase.
          Anything longer than a CJ5 is looong
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Eh...the SWB vs. LWB debate is dumb.

I remember being a member of a certain 4 wheelers club in the Inland Empire and being told not so politely that if I wanted to stay in the club I had to get rid of my "long" 108" Waggy and get a 93" Wrangler or CJ. Being newish to the sport, I allowed myself to be influenced, and got rid of my big Jeep and moved into a CJ. I kinda wish I hadn't.

These days, all those whiners are building 103 - 112" rock buggies. F-n hypocrites.

My TJ is now 99", and I'd like to go to 102". I need to relocate the gas tank before I can do that, though. My Scrambler is 103", and I think that is close to the perfect wheelbase.
            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post

I remember being a member of a certain 4 wheelers club in the Inland Empire and being told not so politely that if I wanted to stay in the club I had to get rid of my "long" 108" Waggy and get a 93" Wrangler or CJ. Being newish to the sport, I allowed myself to be influenced, and got rid of my big Jeep and moved into a CJ. I kinda wish I hadn't.

These days, all those whiners are building 103 - 112" rock buggies. F-n hypocrites.

My TJ is now 99", and I'd like to go to 102". I need to relocate the gas tank before I can do that, though. My Scrambler is 103", and I think that is close to the perfect wheelbase.
              Since I have not frequented a lot of the boards for 4-wheeling, I didn't realize that I was bringing up something that people go round and round on.

More than anything else, I was really trying to figure out what people were referring to when they state in a description of a trail that it should be a "short wheelbase" vehicle.

Since my Jeep is completely stock at this point, I should probably just keep a mental image of my Jeep being a long wheelbase when reading those descriptions. They might be fine trails when my Scrambler grows up though!

I ran about half of Cakewalk in Johnson Valley a couple of weeks ago and was a bit over my head even on the bypasses. I figured that I would have been OK if I was about 3 - 4 inches higher than I am now. I had some minor carnage involving my corners and my rocker panel, so I thought I'd take an exit while I was still ahead of the game. I also found out later that I blew my pinion seal on the rear axel. It turned out to be a wise choice to bow out when I did.

I appreciate everyone's answers and realize now that this is a grey area.

Thanks.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
                Anything longer than a CJ5 is looong
                funny,
                I can not really answer the question but ca offer insight in the jeep point of view. I t would seem anything around the wheel base of the current universal platform in 2 door form (cj, yj, tj or JK) and with out a stretch (cj6 or tj unlimited) is short wheelbase. and longer than that is long wheelbase.
                This may seem funny as a tj, around 94 inches and a cj6 at 101 inches are only 7 inches apart. To compliment things we call 2 door xjs "short buses, but consider them long wheel base. (wheelbase not recalled at posting) Anyway maybe what we preceive has changed over the years. I would think from all the wheelbases that 100 inches seems to be the cut, but will soon be proved wrong about that.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Christian
                  All kidding aside,to me its hard to say whats long and short.Unless it a J200 or one of the other full size mod's,they are all close in size,and can handle most anything they build em for.CJ,YJ,TJ,XJ,and.....
                  Can't name em all but have been impressed by em since I've been here.Good luck with your quest.
                  Dennis
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Petey,
                    I don't think the 108" wheelbase was the problem it was the 2' of overhang. I don't know who it was that told you to get a CJ but most of the members from back then are gone and BTW I think the longest buggy in the club is 102"

Comment

Originally posted by biglar View Post
                      Petey,
                      I don't think the 108" wheelbase was the problem it was the 2' of overhang. I don't know who it was that told you to get a CJ but most of the members from back then are gone and BTW I think the longest buggy in the club is 102"
                      It doesn't matter anymore, really. I just think the wheelbase debate is overplayed.

anyhoo, it don't matter. Everyone is happy and healthy. :beer:

Congrats on the Poison Spyder purchase! When you're up to speed, I need to talk to you about some corners for my Scrambler
                      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

It doesn't matter anymore, really. I just think the wheelbase debate is overplayed.

anyhoo, it don't matter. Everyone is happy and healthy. :beer:

Congrats on the Poison Spyder purchase! When you're up to speed, I need to talk to you about some corners for my Scrambler
                        Thanks Pete, I'll hook you up! Also, we need to get rid of those Poison Spyder knock off front fenders on your TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by biglar View Post
                          Thanks Pete, I'll hook you up! Also, we need to get rid of those Poison Spyder knock off front fenders on your TJ.
                          Hey larry nice to see you over here theres some great people on this board

i love my long wheelbase i have waled right up some things the SWB jeeps have trouble getting up
                          [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Scott (dr.dirty) made Bullfrog look way too easy. I didn't see anything on that trail that even challenged his 4 door. Maybe he backed up an extra time to get around a corner, but that was it. Don't believe the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                              Hey larry nice to see you over here theres some great people on this board

i love my long wheelbase i have waled right up some things the SWB jeeps have trouble getting up
                              It's nice to be here and to see some familiar names. I was looking for names I recognized when I found Peteyg, I've known him for about 10yrs and that's how I ended up on this thread.

Now back on topic...there is no perfect wheelbase...there are wheel bases that might be better for the type of wheelin' you do but, in the words of Phyllis Evans (Walkers wife) There's the right wheelbase for every obstacle and the right obstacle for every wheelbase.

Comment

Working...
                              X