Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Wheel Spacers

I'm currently running 33 x 12.50 on my CJ5 and I tend to get a little tire rub on the inside. I've heard some good pros and some cons about wheel spacers and I was wondering if someone could give me some advise as to how many inches I should go with on the spacers. I may upgrade my tire size to 35 x 11.50 but not sure about the tire rub. I have a 3" suspension lift and a 1" body lift.
    thanks

I ran the Spider Trax spacers on my CJ with 37" MTR's for years and never had a problem. I know someone running them on a YJ with 40" MTR's with the same results.

The Spider Trax are 1 1/4" each and are very good quality. I've seen other brand that are 1 1/2" and would consider that the max.

You may need to do a little trimming, but you should be able to get away with 35x12.50's with your present set-up. You'll appreciate the added width with your narrow track CJ.

AA

Comment

I run spacers on my TJ to get my track width out, but it was not my first choice. if I had the money, I'd get wheel with different backspacing instead. I have had both good and bad luck with spacers. The key is getting them torqued properly. If you do it right, you will never have a problem. On the other hand, I've watched a wheel spacer completely let go due to improper installation, taking the tire with it, and destroying the wheel studs as it left the axle...It was obviously because it didn't get tightened onto the axle studs well enough, but it just adds one more variable into the whole equation.
      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try and go with the 1 1/2" spacers. Also I belive that the ** x 12.50 is the width of the tire.... since I'm only running a 6 banger I'll stick with the 11.50 on the 35 inchers.

Comment

You won't have any problems with them. I bought the 2" spacers for my son's 77 CJ5 and it has made a world of difference in it's handling. We have wheeled it hard and it has been in a high speed roll over and they have held up well. We bought the set of four for $98 on EBay brand new. The guy is still on Ebay selling them as we just bought a set of 1" for a friends 2004 FJ.

Comment

I've been running 1 1/2" spacers on my CJ for almost three years with no problems.
            Check out .

Comment

Im asumming wheel adapters and wheel spacers are one in the same?

Comment

A different angle.... If you have any future plans to change rims, you can pick up some spacing with the rim off-set. Going from a stock rim to my Mickey Thompson Classic locks picked up about 1 1/2" in outward spacing. Just another idea.

Comment

Working...
                X