Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk brake conversion

I have a 99 TJ 4.0. I want to convert my rear dana 44 with drum brakes to disk brakes taken from a dana 44 rubicon. What needs to be done? I heard I have to change my brake booster, is that right! Thanks.

Do you have the brakes already? If not look here: http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...?prod=TF-DBK-J

You can probably piece a kit together, but the price on this one if fairly competitive. Also, don't by the emergency brake cables from Northridge, too expensive. Look here: www.wholesalemopar.com

You don't need a different booster, master cylinder or prop valve.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yes I have them. So, I dont have to modify anything in the mastercylinder etc. Are you sure?

Comment

The stock master cylinder works fine I stuck a dana 44 froman LJ under my little put put and it has worked fine for the last 3 years no drag on the brakes and stops better than drum brakes. If Josh got you the parkbrake cables also you are golden. Did you get his axle shafts? The retaining plates for axle shafts for drum brakes are different than the retaining plates for diskbrakes if need be I got a set of those or you can make a spacer

Comment

Originally posted by nikos View Post
          Yes I have them. So, I dont have to modify anything in the mastercylinder etc. Are you sure?

Positive. You will need the disc brake retainers like Art is talking about and you're good to go.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I got 2 of them. you can pull them off the broke axle shafts. One is broke the other is twisted. they should work.

got the cables. will take them off later.
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Just remember that you need a press to get the bearings of and mors likely will destroy them.
              Also when you press them off you need new retaining rings when you press it back together. So best course of action is new bearings seals and retaining rings

Comment

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...03&postcount=3

is this similiar to yours
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I guess he just cut a slot in the plates to get them around the axles and yes those retainer plates are the same, as well as the same as you have.
                  I don't know about cutting a slot in them but its worth a try. At the worst the seals will start leaking. Would save a lot of hassle that is for sure

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    The stock master cylinder works fine I stuck a dana 44 froman LJ under my little put put and it has worked fine for the last 3 years no drag on the brakes and stops better than drum brakes. If Josh got you the parkbrake cables also you are golden. Did you get his axle shafts? The retaining plates for axle shafts for drum brakes are different than the retaining plates for diskbrakes if need be I got a set of those or you can make a spacer
                    Ya he will give me the brake cables. As far as axles, no, mine are chromoly 35 spline so his would not work, plus one of his is bent. Do I need new axles?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                      I dont know Raider! So I learned no master etc needs to be changed. We got all the parts except I dont know what axle stuff needs to be done! Is it a bolt issue or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                        I got 2 of them. you can pull them off the broke axle shafts. One is broke the other is twisted. they should work.

got the cables. will take them off later.
                        Ok Josh, sounds good bro!

Comment

All you need now is 2 axle retainer plates for diskbrakes you can use the one Josh has if you cut or press the bearings off. then sjot the retainers so you can slip them around your axle shafts its worth a try at the worst the seals start leaking

Comment

you can order the retainer plates from mopar use the one for rubicon you will need to replace the back plate bolts and more then likly you will need to replace the wheel studs with longer ones. easiest way to remove the old bearings and retainer is too cut them off with a die grinder. and crack with a chistle. not too tough I did mine from zj junk yard stuff in a few hours.

Comment

While I agree rear wheel disk brakes are generally better than drums, I chose to go with the Vanco front brake upgrade kit (see link below) when introduced a few years ago. These allow me to lock my 33x12.5x15 MTRs at will and others state same results with 35 or larger. Since front brakes do most of the work due to weight transfer, this is the most critical area for improvement. You can do a search here or on other forums, but Vanco kit developer's statement was that OEM calipers distort under heavy load with "oversized" tires, resulting in reduced brake pad to rotor surface area. I'm a satisfied customer...

Jeff

http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/dkj1000.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X