Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bump stops

As some of you guys know, I found myself in need of bump stopping the backside.
    I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and came up with this thought...
    Took some old leaf spring clamps and ubolts from a donor when I did the bastard lift...
    a hockey puck
    a grinder to clearance the shock absorber..
    and so far, so good...

I slammed it thru some dips in town and bottomed out the back end...nice and smooth stopping, no jarring. I'm happy.
    When's the next ride fellas?

when i first looked i was like whoa, i thought you put that spacer under the leaves,,LOL looks good, whats stopping it, or what part of the jeep is the bumpstop hitting.. looks like it might hit the muffler?

Comment

oh i see where it hits by the first pic, just had to wake up a bit more.

Comment

yeah it just meets the factory bumpstop. I could see the clean spot on the axle tube where it met, so I knew the positioning was correct. it's actually a bit softer than it was w/the factory stops (when i was on smaller tires). I like it.

Comment

lol.. now I understand what you were talkin about..
          looks good...
          [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
          PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Thanks!
            actually Josh, this isn't what I was telling you because I hadn't thought of it yet. the initial plan was for a plate to come off the top of the spring pack and extend over that area where I put that spring plate. Then there'd be a gap between the plate and the axle tube.

Comment

huh.. thought you mentioned somethin about the plate and u-bolts.. or maybe great minds think alike.. lol.. I am fabbin up new spring plates with bumpstops for my XJ.. but now I only have to make one set.. LOL..
              [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]

Comment

bad place for a hockey puck. doesnt look good.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  bad place for a hockey puck. doesnt look good.
                  Care to elaborate?

Comment

well.... it looks really booty fabbed.
                    why not drop the bump stop or weld on a piece of steel to the tube and make it look like it is meant to be there?
                    ERIK

Comment

I'm not overly concerned about aesthetics,(especially not since you have to crawl under there to see it) only function. I thought you had some engineering concerns to raise.
                      Thanks though.

Comment

well, i figured since some were blowing smoke up your ass, i'd tell you the truth. you could wrap a roll of duct tape around there and do the same thing, but it would still look like crap.

there are right and wrong ways to do things, and one looks better than the other for a reason.
                        i dont mean to be so blunt, but the truth has to be said.
                        ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by XJJK View Post
                          I'm not overly concerned about aesthetics,(especially not since you have to crawl under there to see it) only function. I thought you had some engineering concerns to raise.
                          Thanks though.

function over form.. is the motto for ed's jeep... and function it does... very well..

Comment

I don't mind a lil smoke now and then
                            I'm taking out this weekend. Will let you know how it holds up.
                            Maybe I'll bondo in some weld lines for aesthetics

Comment

Originally posted by LEADFOOTjosh View Post
                              function over form.. is the motto for ed's jeep... and function it does... very well..
                              Thanks Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X