Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smog on a CJ7 ???

I am currenly looking at taking on a project. but....

1986 CJ7.
    2" body lift
    hardtop
    32x11.5 tires.

It looks like the engine will need to be rebuilt. I am not really worried about the rebuild, but what worries me is that the jeep does not have any smog equipment on it. where I live I need to have the vehicle smoged. So it looks like I will have to retrofit the engine to include smog compliant stuff. Has anyone had any experiance with getting there CJs thru smog, or have ever done a "retrofit".

Uh, or should I just look an engine swap?
    AriZonaTJ

======================
    0[_____]0
    .(0IIII0). - 98 TJ, 3"Tera,33" M/Ts
    []===0=[]
    ======================

What smog equipment is it supposedly missing? The only thing on an '86 CJ is the evap canister (which is $85 at the dealer) and the Carter computer controlled carb. Well, that stuff and the zillion miles of vacuum tubing connecting the carb to the intake controller goodie and the vacuum switches... So it is missing all the vacuum controlled junk then, or what? I have a balanced & blueprinted 258 in my '86 that I'll sell ya... runs really well, low miles (about 12,000). The only smog related thing wrong with mine is the vacuum switches are bad, other than that it all works. Comes complete with all vacuum tubing and harness, new evap canister...
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Rick,
      Thanks for the info. Yeah It looks like most of the vacuum lines are shot or nonexistant. When I looked at the jeep, I saw what I thought was a charcol canister, which I assume is really the evap can you talked about.

As you can probably tell, I was thinking that there was quite abit more to the smog system, but If its just a couple of lines and a canister. Then that is totally promising. I might just have another project.

Your engine sounds really cool. I would be interesting in checking it out, PM me about the price and details.
      AriZonaTJ

======================
      0[_____]0
      []===0=[]
      ======================

Comment

Id be leary of the project. Why did he remove all the smog stuff to begin with? Putting those lines in the right places sure can be a pain in the butt.
        Scott
        89 yj with crap and stuff.

Comment

Well, the jeep was driven by the owners daugher who took it to the HS auto shop to do the 2 inch body lift and other stuff. After it was worked on (I think they replaced the head gaskets) the engine never ran the same.
          I could imagine that it would be really hard to reroute the vacuum lines, but If I am going to be rebuilding the whole thing anyways...
          thanks for the help.
          Adam
          AriZonaTJ

======================
          0[_____]0
          []===0=[]
          ======================

Comment

If you feel like tackling a project, then go for it
            Scott
            89 yj with crap and stuff.

Comment

I had to do work on my 85 cherokee and it has all that vacuum stuff. Let me tell you, it wasn't fun trying to get it all together, but there are books for it. Also on mine there is a little diagram on the firewall that has all the lines mapped out which really helps. But still since ive gotten it together ive only gotten it to run decent once. So make sure you pay attention to whatever it says. Im 15 and ive come a long way since i pulled the engine out to replace the flywheel, so it is possible. as for smog legal, im not sure if mine will even pass but i know its possible.
              B R E T T
              87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

JeepJunkie,
                Hey thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to do a bit of reading about the vacuum system, before I get into the jeep. I'll check the firewall for the diagram.
                Thanks

-Adam
                AriZonaTJ

======================
                0[_____]0
                []===0=[]
                ======================

Comment

MoPar injection, do away with the vacuum stuff
                  1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

TBI or MPI

I think for now I will just try to get it running but.....

I found an interesting link on the topic.

TBI vs. MPI
                    AriZonaTJ

======================
                    0[_____]0
                    []===0=[]
                    ======================

Comment

Working...
                    X