Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• california tire width regulations

i was just wondering what is the law on tire width on cars? i have a stock yj wit 2.5 lift wrap with 33 12.5 15
    still has finder flares on.

Tire width?

I dont think theres a law on it... As long as your fenders cover most of the tire you should be fine.

I run 35x12.5x15 on 15x10 wheels and they stick out about 3-4 inches from my fenders (no flares) and ive never even been questioned about it.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Technically, you cannot have any tire extending outside the edge of the fender flare. Your flares can be as wide as you want to accomplish this, up to a total vehicle width of 102"

In practice, you will get hassled for Mud Flaps by the CHP if you have about more than one tread lug width sticking out, and city cops will leave you alone.

My Jeep is now a rolling ticket magnet, since my 14.5" wide tires are 100% outside the body lines. I threw the rear flares on for appearances, but it's not gonna fool anyone. I absolutely despise super-wide flares, though, so I'd rather get the ticket...
      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I think it also depends where you live! The law is the same but the cops do not care as much in areas.
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Hey Larry, Welcome to MJR!

As far as the tires go, the City cops around here wont bug you about it but CHP might, it just depends on the Officer pulling you over!

I wouldn't worry to much about it! I've been running my 33x12.5's forever and they usually don't even give me a second look!

See ya, Scott
          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

It’s what they call a selective enforcement law. Meaning, USUALY if you are not being pulled over for something else and you are not an a-hole to the cop you’ll be fine. I use 33/10.5 BFGs and they stick out a bit. I don’t have a front license plate on either. I am sure there are a few things that they could gripe about on my rig but they don’t.
            -Scott
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

ive got 35x14.5's on my rig and i get pulled over quite often up here in canada. i just tell them
              "some a hole stole them and there on back order. what am i going to do, walk the 5 blocks to the store??" works everytime.
              :devil: Giffer

Comment

...and from the vehicle code:

Fenders and Mudguards
                27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels,
                any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices,
                including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or
                attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray
                or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or
                such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.
                This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers
                and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles
                manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen
                weight of under 1,500 pounds.
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
                  I think it also depends where you live! The law is the same but the cops do not care as much in areas.
                  True,... if you live in the high desert the cops don't care. Same thing with covers on the off road lights.
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                  X