Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 wrangler sport reverse gear sound

Hi, I bought a 2002 jeep wrangler sport with 67,000 miles on it. I didn't notice it at the time but when I am backing up it makes and odd grinding like sound. when i test drove it I only used reverse once or twice and only for a few seconds and at very slow speed.

It only does it when it is moving and in revrse. And only when I take my foot off the gas. If i put it in reverse and give it gas and let the clutch out it sounds normal but with the cluch out and my foot off the gas it begins to make the sound. It also does it with the clutch out while "rolling" in reverse.

All the the forward gears work and sound great.

It doesn't seem to be the reverse gear it's self, becuase no matter how much gas I give it in reverse it doesn't seem to slip or grind. I have also tested this in 4 wheel drive both high and low.

what ever it is it doesn't seem to be effeceting the driving or anything. I dont think that my extended warrenty would cover it if something broke.

Should i get the gear oil changed? This the the first wrangler (TJ) i have ever owned (not my fist jeep). I think it has a NV3550 in it, It is a 5 speed trans.

It just kinda pisses me off that I didn't find this problem before I signed on the dotted line.

Thanks for any help and info.

There are more experienced mechanics here and I am sure they will chime in. I do know a bit about warranties and the most basic of warranties cover the drive train. And if you do not want to pay the deductable to find out what the problem is, you can call the warranty company and see what all is covered.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

reverse gear tends to be noisy compare the noise with a fellow tj owner. Might just be nothing wrong with it

Comment

Is it grinding or whining? I'd jack up the rear and run it in reverse to make sure its a drivetrain/rear end problem. If the noise is still there, pull the diff cover and have a look see (you should do this anyway to change the fluid). It probably wouldn't hurt to change the fluid in the trans too. Look for metal shavings or metallic stuff in either fluid. Our NV3550 is a noisy POS, just FYI.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

As a fellow gear shifter I can attest to reverse being slightly louder. I do have a YJ though. The tranny is an AX5 but there is a noticeable difference.

Comment

my 2000 tj makes a whiring noise in reverse, my 97 did the same thing, the reverse is just noise is all, i figure its because of how low the gearing is. just my 2 cents, good luck

Comment

I am for sure it is not the rear diff. My grandmother has a toyota that has a 4 speed manual in it. I know what the whine of a truck backing up to fast sounds like.

And from what i have read about the NV3550 the forward gear is the highest at 4.01 and the reverse gear is like 3.75 or something.

This sound is coming from ether the trans or the clutch. the sounds is like two gears going to two differ directions rubbing. not trying to mesh but just rubbing a little. And it makes a grinding sound.

Kinda like if you are rolling forward and you try to shift into reverse. but it is not as load or as harsh a sound.

I did look at my warrenty and a new trans is covered but I think the trans has to stop working or a gear has to fail before I can get it rebuilt or replaced. It just making a bad sound isn't covered it would seem.

I will probably just pay the 50$ to have it checked out just to see if I can have it fixed or replaced.

Also how good is the NV3550 compared to other transmissions? I have read that people have straped small block V8s to them?

I've read a few good reviews on them. i guess maybe i just got one of the bad ones? Or do they just kinda suck?

Thanks for the help TTYL

Comment

if you wont get a new tranny till the old one blows throw it in reverse and keep on the throttle till she blows!

Comment

I have one more thing to ask. What is the max towing capacity?

I dont have the owners manual and i cant seem to find a good answer online.

One more thing what is the largest tires you can but on a stock wrangler sport? I was told i could put 30" on my stock 91 cherokee. which is lower than my TJ So I think my TJ should be able to do bigger than that.

Comment

Are you sure its not the brake wear indicators rubbing on the rotor in reverse they make a grinding type noise.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnythejeepguy View Post
                      I have one more thing to ask. What is the max towing capacity?
                      2000 pounds
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

you can fit 31' 10.5"s on your tj stock. thats what i have on my 2000. you will rub a bit on your lca's when you turn tight, that can be adjusted with spacers on your steering stops. hope that helps ya

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                          Are you sure its not the brake wear indicators rubbing on the rotor in reverse they make a grinding type noise.
                          Ya I had new break pads,shoes and rotors put on at the dealership (along with new head lights).

what ever it is it has to be coming from the trans or the T-Case. I got under it and looked to see how far back the T-case is and from were the sound is coming in the jeep I would have to say that i am almost 100% sure it is something in the trans.

Now that I have fully read all of my warrenty paper work I dont think its that big a deal. If it breaks 50$ will get me a new one.

I kinda hope that it does break before the warrenty ends that way I can get a new trans and not left with one that could break at anytime with no warrenty.

Also My jeep already has 31" tires on it I dont know the width. but It does have a good bit if room still yet.

Do the jeeps come stock with 31" tires? I think the last owner may have had them put on.

Thanks for the help and comments.

Comment

im not sure about the 02's but i think the newer rubicons come with a larger mud terrain tire. i know my 97' and 00' came with umm 225/75/15's? i think.

Comment

Working...
                            X